Epilogue

Epilogue

"Music was the secret sanctuary of my soul; music was my god, the only master I would ever serve again."
~ Erik in Susan Kay's Phantom

~*~

New York City, NY • Present Day

A gentle breeze pushed the tail of my black knit scarf over my shoulder. The cool air felt good as it raked its way through my loose waves; the blackness of my hair as deep as the scarf I wore. Not that I needed the scarf or the jacket to shield me from the freezing weather of February. But what's the harm in following fashion; or not wanting to stick out like a sore thumb for not wearing heavy clothing in this temperature?

My iPhone beeped as I reached 44th and 7th - or, as I like to say to keep it simple: 44th and Broadway. Bringing my phone out of my jeans pocket, I unlocked the screen, scanning the top that said:

6:15 pm. Monday, February 9, 2015.

Below it read the text from one of my managers:

I hope you come with Starbucks and Chipotle.

Laughing at my screen I quickly replied:

I come with glad tidings, of Chipotle and Starbucks. ;)

I shoved the phone back into my pocket and walked up 44th street, the smile returning when I saw the Majestic Theater's marquee and the white masks that were on all the posters below it.

My smile grew wider as I passed by the main entrance and the posters of the cast, pausing a moment to examine the publicity pictures of the newest cast members that start today. I stopped at the one poster nearest to the door, taking in the masked actor clad in black. I tilted my head to the side, regarding every little detail of the costume, the mask, and the black wig.

"Why are you smiling?"

The voice in my head snapped me from my staring and coaxed a bigger smile onto my face, "No reason. Just admiring our new Phantom is all."

"He looks nothing like me."

Rolling my eyes, I turned to continue down the sidewalk, "Oh, c'mon, Erik! You get so picky about the actors who play you." I went around the corner, walking down 8th Ave.

"I find it slightly disconcerting that you aren't picky about the actors who play me."

Taking another sharp right, I went down 45th street, turning again when I came to the alleyway that lead to the Majestic's stage door, "Who said I'm not picky? I generally like all the actors who play you. They all do an excellent job."

"Is that why you go by the main entrance everyday? To look at the Phantoms you like so much?"

Laughing again, I rolled my eyes, "Will you stop with your foolish insecurities already?!"

I heard the smile in his voice when he replied, "Alright, alright."

Unwinding my scarf, I pushed open the door while balancing the tray of Chipotle and Starbucks on my right arm. Winding in and out of the bustling crowd backstage, I made my way to the managers' office.