14. Before The Performance

Chapter Fourteen || Before The Performance

~*~

"Madame de La Hye, Monsieur Claude lost his notes for the second act."

"Madame de La Hye, I spilled water on my copy of the first aria."

"Madame de La Hye, should this fourth bar be as quiet as it is?"

Question after question came at me in a blur as dizzying as the frantic chaos occurring throughout the rest of the Opéra Populaire. The entire building seemed to buzz like boiling water inside a closed teapot, the high pitched whistle deafening everyone, the pressure within it about ready to blow the lid off of the pot. Without much thought or attention, I mechanically answered their questions, fixed their pages of torn sheet music, replaced the water damaged pages, and said 'yes' to any changes they suggested.

From the orchestra pit, I glanced up at the stage, the large amounts of red scenery looking like it would burn my eyes and blind me. Stagehands aptly worked on the two staircases on the sides of the stage that lead to an overhead walkway. It is that walkway that the characters Don Juan and Aminta will climb to show their sinful ascendance. In the middle of the stage, they tested the fans that blew the red fabric to make the giant pit look like it was on fire. Towards the back of the stage, the dancers practiced their sensual dance, tweaking it here and there to make it match the high standards the Phantom had set for them.

Perfect. Everything must be perfect.

Behind me, the maids dusted the red velvet seats of the auditorium and polished the golden angels surrounding us. Up on the higher levels a few of the other workers leaned over the boxs' railings to light the candelabras for tonight's audience.

Monsieur Reyer, as jittery as he is, stood beside me at the conductor's box and listened to the instructions I gave him concerning Don Juan. He nodded anxiously to whatever I said, his senses on high alert, afraid that any minute the Opera Ghost may appear and create chaos. He kept his handkerchief out to wipe away the nervous sweat that refused to stop forming. While he took my place on the tiny conductor's box and lead the orchestra with a shaky baton, I listened to the sound of Raoul's voice appearing and disappearing to different areas of the Opéra Populaire. However, whenever I was able to place Raoul and listen to the orders he gave, Loki would sense my prying ears and block me off from hearing their plans.

"Like that, Madame de La Hye?" I turned my attention back up to Monsieur Reyer's expectant gaze. The musicians also looked at me with anxious eyes, their hands clutching their instruments so tight their knuckles turned white. All of them wanted to make sure they wouldn't disappoint the absent but ever present composer. They didn't want to end up like Buquet, the last person who did wrong and annoyed the Opera Ghost.

Uncrossing my legs and standing from the chair I had been seated in, I nodded, "Yes, that'll do. I think he will be pleased." What Erik wants is a chance to get to Christine. I doubt he'll be listening too closely to how the orchestra is playing or how the dancers moves are in sync.

With a hand on my shoulder, Monsieur Reyer stopped me, "You 'think'? Don't go if you're not positive! Our lives may be at stake!"

I looked up to Reyer's fear filled eyes. There was a momentary pause as I took in Reyer's expression; the expression that looked like he was on the verge of breaking. I felt sorrow for the poor mortals and their fear of what this performance may bring to them and/or to others. Staring deep into Monsieur Reyer's round eyes, I said, "He will be pleased as long as she sings tonight."