Chapter 3: Family Circus

Lunch soon passes and you go to all your other classes, two of which you have with Dave and one with Dirk, but luckily there are no more confrontations. Dirk walks with you to your locker at the end of the day. He leans against the ones beside you as you grab a few things and stuff them into your bag, "Sooooo..." He begins, drumming his fingers on the metal, "I was thinking me and you should go to my place and hang after this."
You close your locker and look up at him, quirking an eyebrow, half in confusion and half in surprise, "YOU REALLY THINK THATS A GOOD IDEA AFTER ALL THATS HAPPENED TODAY?"
He shrugs "Dave has football practice. If you really don't want to, I understand..." He looks disappointed. It feels like you kicked a barkbeast. The feeling makes you uneasy, and as much as you want to come up with an excuse, the look on his face made it evident that you would never be able to live with yourself if you did, "FINE. BUT I NEED TO STOP AT MY HOUSE FIRST."
His face lights up, "Alright. Sweet. Then let's go," He shuts your locker and takes you by the hand, dragging you out of the building and down the sidewalk. You allow yourself to be dragged, putting up little resistance. Once he realizes he has no idea where he's going, he releases you and allows you to lead. You decide to take this opportunity to question him.
"SO WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH YOUR BROTHER, ANYWAY?"
Dirk chuckles softly and sighs, shaking his head, "Truth be told, he isn't nearly as awful as he appears. In fact, he's actually pretty chill once you get to know him. I think he was just trying to flirt with you and give you a hard time."
You scoff and roll your eyes, "THATS RIDICULOUS. THERE HAS TO BE SOME OTHER EXPLANATION."
He shrugs, stuffing his hands in his hoodie pocket, "Maybe, but I doubt it. Really he's kind of a softie. I mean he is only human after all. Maybe you're just getting under his skin? I really think he has a soft spot for you."
You give him a look as if to say, 'are-you-insane?', "HOW COULD HE HAVE A SOFT SPOT FOR ME AFTER ONE DAY?"
"The same way I do," Dirk says with a small smile, though he keeps his gaze straight ahead. You feel your cheeks heat as you look away. The remainder of the walk was met with silence, but it wasn't necessarily unwelcome. It gave you time to think.
It was only a matter of time before you reached your house. Pulling out the key, you unlock the door and walk inside. "IM HOME!" You call, hearing footsteps coming towards you from the kitchen.
Your stepmother walks in and smiles brightly, "Hello kitten~!" She hugs you tightly and hiss.
"YOURE SUFFOCATING ME..."
She lets go as you attempt to catch your breath. "And who is this?"
Pinching the bridge of your nose, you sigh, "This is Dirk. We go to school together. This is my stepmom."
Dirk smiles and shakes her hand politely "Nice to meet you, Mrs. Vantas."
She shakes her head and smiles back, "Not quite yet. It's still Miss Lejion until spring. But the pleasure is all mine," she turns to you, "Your father wanted to see you. He's in his study."
You roll your eyes, not in any mood to hear him preach to you, "ILL LISTEN TO HIS SERMON LATER. I JUST WANTED TO CHECK IN. I NEED TO GO."
She frowns, "Already? Well okay... Be home by 7."
"CAN I HAVE UNTIL 8?" You bat your eyelashes at her and she caves, just as you knew she would.
"Oh, fine. You two better be good." She waves as you drop you bag by the door and practically drag Dirk out of your house.
He sniggers, glancing down at you, "She seems nice. Don't you like her?"
With a groan, you shake your head, "ITS NOT THAT. SHES NICE ENOUGH, AND BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY I HAVE HER WRAPPED AROUND MY FINGER. ITS HER STUPID KIDS I DONT LIKE."
Dirk frowns, looking confused, "What's wrong with them?"
"HER YOUNGER DAUGHTER, NEPETA, HAS THE MOST RIDICULOUS CRUSH ON ME AND ALL SHE EVER DOES IS ROLEPLAY. HER OLDER SISTER IS DEAF AND SHE FAWNS OVER ME JUST AS MUCH AS HER MOM DOES. SHE FUCKING HATES KANKRI THOUGH. AND HER BOYFRIEND IS A TOTAL LUNATIC."
"You said something about listening to you dad give a sermon. What did you mean by that?"
"MY DAD'S THE PASTOR OR WHATEVER AT THE CHURCH NEAR OUR SCHOOL. HE AND MY BROTHER ARE SUPER INTO RELIGION."
"It doesn't sound like you follow in their footsteps. Would they hate me because apparently being gay is a sin?"
You roll your eyes "OF COURSE NOT. THEY ACCEPT ME. THEY'D ACCEPT YOU."
He looks surprised "You're gay?"
"DONT INSULT ME. TROLLS DONT DO THAT GAY BULLSHIT. WE FLUSH FOR WHOEVER WE FLUSH FOR. WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT GENDER?"
Dirk snorts "Amen to that."
"ANYWAYS MY HOUSE IS BASICALLY A ONE WAY TICKET TO CRAZY TOWN."
"Is that why your always so grumpy?" He pinches your cheek and you slap his hand away.
"WOULDN'T YOU BE PISSY ALL THE TIME IF YOU HAD TO MOVE INTO A HOUSE WITH FIVE OTHER PEOPLE AND GO TO A NEW SCHOOL YOUR SOPHOMORE YEAR?"
He nods, "Yeah that's a good point. So you guys moved in with your step mom?"
"WE GOT A NEW HOUSE BECAUSE THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY OF US. KANKRI GOES TO THE COLLEGE THATS MAYBE AN HOUR AWAY, BUT HE STAYS WITH US. MEULIN, THE OLDER DAUGHTER I MENTIONED, SHE HELPS HER MOM OUT AROUND THE HOUSE, SO SHE STAYS THERE, TOO. MY STEPMOM WORKS AT THE CHURCH, WHICH MAKES IT NICE TO HAVE ANOTHER SET OF HANDS AROUND."
"Did your mom and dad meet at the church?"
You nod, "YEAH. THEYRE PRETTY ALRIGHT."
Dirk stops at his apartment building and grins at you, "Well, now you get to see what I live with everyday."