Into the Fire I

Scootaloo ran as hard as she could. She had to find Rainbow Dash or Applejack or Rarity or-! or-! somepony!

"Now those were some mighty fine-" before Applejack could finish her critique of the meal, the door to Sugarcube Corner burst open.

"Applejack!" The orange pegasus filly cried as she ran in, "You gotta help them! Apple Bloom and Sweetiebell were taken!"

Applejack lept out of the booth at the sudden information, "Where are they! Who took 'em? Was it those buckin' Diamond dogs again? When I find them I'll-"

"It was Timberwolves! We were going to Zecora's and we-" Scootaloo froze as she saw the expression on the farmpony's face.

"Timberwolves..." Applejack knew the creatures well, having all to recently been involved in the fake-turned-real Timberwolf attack.

Despite how she may have acted, or how boldly she told Spike to leave her behind, she had been terrified.

Twilight was out of the booth and up next to Applejack in a flash. She rolled her head towards the door in the inter-species sign for "follow me."

Catcher and Screw Loose jumped in line right behind.

Swallowing her fear, Applejack put on a brave face, "Don't worry we'll save Sweetiebell and ma' sister in a jiffy! You jus' go home fer now, ok?"

Without waiting for a response from the distraught filly, she turned to the group, and quickly the four were off.

"Uh, Miss Applejack? Do we know where we're going?" Catcher called over to Applejack as they ran deeper into the woods.

"We're following Twilight! That's where we're going!" Applejack shouted as she ran behind a thick outcropping of trees.

"I can see that, but does she actually know where she's going, or are we just following a wolf into the woods? Because I'm pretty sure my mom used to tell me stories about following wolves into the forest... And why are you way over there?"

"She's sniffing our way to ma' sister if ya can't tell, and I'm staying downwind so she doesn't smell me instead."

Catcher ducked under a branch, "But how does she know the scent? I didn't see any scent items or anything?"

"Downside, or upside really, to living in an apple orchard: Ya' always smell like apples. All us Apples smell like apples, that's why I have to stay down wind!"

"Ok, but we still have the issue of-"

"IEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

"That was Sweetiebell!" Applejack shouted to Twilight.

The wolf of the pack sped up, leaving the others struggling to catch up.

Applejack, no longer needing to stay downwind, joined up with Catcher and the oddly quiet Screw Loose.

"I'm coming girls!" she shouted into the night.

The orange one may have escaped, but they had the other two, and that was enough for a good meal.

"Good catch Pinepaw."

Apple Bloom flailed and kicked at the wooden hide of her captor.

"Thank you sir." Pinepaw replied through teeth clenched around the tail hair of the freshly re-caught prey, "Shall we head back to the den sir?"

"Yes, before these little pups try to escape again."

"Sorry sir..." said another Timberwolf as he caught up, the rest of the pack right behind him, "I thought I had a firm grip on her..."