Chapter One

Oli's POV:

"Ashton," I gasped, choking on the stream of blood gushing from my nose, "Please... stop."

I begged him to stop but I knew he wouldn't. He punched me again in the stomach and air was forced from my lungs. I collapsed in a heap on the cold tiled floor of the school hall and obtained the foetal position as I groaned through quivering lips. We had attracted a large crowd of enthusiastic students. I recognised a few of the laughing faces and I could hear their encouraging chants--

"Pummel him, Ash!"

" Stupid fag!"

"Kill him, Ashton!"

Several tears slid down my colour-drained face. My light shaking turned to full-on spasms, and my gentle whimpers turned to sobs as Ashton continued to kick at my legs. His eyes softened briefly when they met mine but they quickly hardened again, consumed by a bloodlust that sent shivers down my spine. He slowly crouched before me, smirking. Suddenly, he grabbed my chin and thrust it upwards, forcing me to look at him. My eyes drifted to his plush lips and I reminisced about their softness when they'd pressed against mine only two months ago.

He brought my face closer to his and, for one blissful second, I thought his lips were going to connect with mine like they used to. Instead he whispered into my ear, breathing heavily:

"You deserve this, faggot."

And, with that, he pounded my head once against the wall behind me and the fiery pain threw me into unconsciousness.

I shot upright in my bed, drenched in sweat, gasping as I caught my breath. The nightmares were back. I slouched back against the headboard, squeezing my eyes shut for a few minutes. The alarm clock on my bedside table read 5:54, and I was relieved that it was Saturday, as well as the school holidays. No need to get ready for college. I rolled out of my bed, landing on the floor with a thump. Slowly pushing myself to my feet, I shuffled towards the staircase and trudged down the stairs to the kitchen, wiping sleep out of my eyes. I lifted my hand in a half-hearted wave as I slumped into the seat opposite my mum.

"Good morning, sweet. You seeing Kara and Emilio today?" She asked, smiling at me before taking a bite of her toast. I nodded in response. Kara and Emilio were my best friends, I met up with them almost every day.

"Tell them I said hi. They're welcome to stay if they like," I nodded again, unable to make words this early in the morning. My mum was always up early for work, but I wasn't used to being awake before sunrise. "What do you have planned?"

I shrugged, mumbling something about texting Kara later. At least they had the sense to sleep in on the weekends. Or that's what I'd thought, until I heard my phone buzz from where I'd left it charging on the kitchen counter overnight. I walked over to it, curious as to who was awake at this hour. I checked my phone and my eyes widened in shock.

From: Ash

I need your help Oli. I know you hate me but please, it's urgent x

I stared at my phone, my thoughts falling into turmoil as I struggled to think of an explanation for this unexpected text message.

Ashton Page. My childhood bully. The ex-lover who had turned against me, without warning or reason. Ash had put me in hospital two years ago, and I still had nightmares about him beating me. My parents had transferred me to a school on the other side of town because they feared for me. I never told my parents, or the police, who had hospitalized me and I decided not to press charges against Ashton, for reasons I couldn't explain. And now he was texting me. Two years later. Asking for my help. I glared at the 'x', unsure if I should answer. A knot formed in the pit of my stomach.

This had to be a hoax. There was no way Ashton Page would ask me, of all people, to help him. As I was glaring at my phone screen, it buzzed again. And again. Ashton was ringing me? I turned and made a dash to my room, locking my door behind me. With shaking hands, I accepted the call before I had chance to chicken out.

"H-hello?" I stuttered. There was static on the other line, then a gasp when he heard my voice through the receiver.

"Oli! I'm so sorry, I know it's early, but I need your help" Ashton sounded desperate, but I clocked on to the fact that he'd apologized for calling so early. Not for all he's put me through.

"What do you want?" The question came out harsher than I'd intended.

"I-I came out. To my parents. And they... they kicked me out, Oli."

My head throbbed as this information ran through it. Ashton's parents were really homophobic, I couldn't believe he'd came out to them. What made him do it? Who made him do it? Did he fall in love? I slightly pitied him. Slightly. I took a deep, shaky breath, raking my brain for something to say. I know I should hate Ashton, but I didn't. I couldn't. I groaned audibly and dragged my fingers through my bed hair.

"Meet me at the park," I regretted the words as soon as they left my mouth. "I'll be there in fifteen." Ashton hurriedly thanked me and assured me he'd be there, then I hung up and started making my way to the shower.

What was I getting myself into?

------------------------------------------
My first story!! Please tell me what you think, I'd love to hear your thoughts!! I know it seems a bit rushed, but it needed to be, sorry :( Should I continue writing it??

Peace out, guys <3