Chapter 2

"Of course I'm worried Artoo, and you should be too. Lando Calrissian and poor Chewbacca never returned from this awful place." The golden protocol droid tutted nervously to his companion, Artoo Detoo.

Artoo whistled timidly in response, rolling along next to his friend as they approached Jabba's palace. But Artoo wasn't really worried, he trusted Master Luke and everything he asked him to do. The only thing the astromech seemed to be peeved about was the gritty, abrasive sand collecting in his servos.

"Don't be so sure. If I told you half the things I've heard about this Jabba the Hutt, you'd probably short-circuit." Threepio said.

When they finally approached the massive gate, second thoughts began to overcome Threepio's mechanical mind. "Artoo, are you sure this is the right place? I better knock, I suppose."

Threepio looked around for some kind of signaling device, then timidly knocked on the iron door. Without even waiting for anyone to answer, the droid gave up. "There doesn't seem to be anyone here. Let's go back and tell Master Luke."

Just as he began to turn away, a small hatch in the middle of the door opened, and a spidery mechanical arm with a large electronic eyeball on the end, popped out and inspected the two droids.

"Tee chuta hhat yudd!" A strange voice snapped.

"Goodness gracious me!" Threepio exclaimed before pointing to Artoo and then to himself. "Artoo Detoowha bo Seethreepiowha ey toota odd mischka Jabba du Hutt."

The eye looked from one robot to the other and a laugh echoed from behind the door right before the eye zipped back inside. The hatch slammed shut and Artoo beeped in concern.

"I don't think they're going to let us in, Artoo. We'd better go."

Artoo beeped reluctantly as Threepio turned to leave. Suddenly, the massive door started to rise with a horrific, metallic screech. The robots turned back and faced an endless black cavity, much like the cave Luke had chosen to stay while he waited for his part of the plan to come in. The droids looked at one another, afraid to enter. Artoo started first, moving bravely forward into the gloom. Threepio quickly rushed after his stubby companion as the door began to lower noisily behind them.

"Artoo, wait. Oh, dear! Artoo, Artoo, I really don't think we should rush into all this."

Despite the protocol droid's efforts, Artoo continued down the corridor, with Threepio following hesitantly.

"Oh, Artoo! Artoo, wait for me!" Threepio cried.

The door slammed shut with a loud crash that echoed throughout the dark passageway. The frightened robots were met by two giant, green Gamorrean guards, who fell into step behind them. Threepio glanced quickly back at the two lumbering brutes, then back to Artoo. One guard grunted an order, making Artoo beep nervously.

"Just you deliver Master Luke's message and get us out of here. Oh my! Oh! Oh, no." Threepio fretted.

Walking toward them out of the darkness came a humanlike alien with long tentacles protruding from his skill. He didn't look very friendly with those fangs of his. "Die Wanna Wanga!" He shouted.

"Oh, my! Die Wanna Wauaga. We--we bring a message to your master, Jabba the Hutt." Threepio said.

Artoo let out a series of quick beeps, reminding Threepio of the rest of their mission.

"...and a gift," the droid paused. "Gift, what gift?" The alien shook his head negatively.

"Nee Jabba no badda. Me chaade su goodie." He held out his hand toward Artoo and the tiny droid backed up a bit, letting out a protesting array of squeaks. Threepio turned to the strange-looking alien.