Chapter 9- The Transfer

Pearl had a delightful weekend with her father. Shopping, drinking tea, and relaxing, nothing pleased Pearl more. Unfortunately, the weekend had come to an end and she was once again back at the Authority School. At least this time she had Garnet to look forward to. Perhaps today was going to be a decent day after all...

Pearl entered the classroom cautiously, looking around for a certain purple gem. Once she concluded that the coast was clear, Pearl strode right with more confidence. Immediately, Pearl saw a flash of purple. Pearl dodged the incoming attack with elegance. Amethyst missed, landing on the pads of her paws in surprise. "Wow P, you've gotten used to my shenanigans already?" Amethyst laughed, despite her disappointment in not ruining another one of Pearl's dresses. Pearl smirked. Her papa had taught her some basic evasive moves over the weekend and they've come in handy. 

Class began with simple chatter, the room filled with talk and light laughter. 

"I'm just saying, it doesn't make ANY sense,"

"Amethyst, the ability to fly has nothing to do with the Earth's gravitational pull," 

"But if the Earth's gravity is SO strong, why doesn't it affect birds?"

"It does, but-"

"So how can birds fly?!"

Pearl pinched the bridge her nose, exasperated by Amethyst's questions. Garnet sat in between the two gems, stoic as ever. Although, the air around Garnet has changed. She was no longer as intimidating and she spoke more than ever. And Amethyst was becoming a bit more...bearable to say the least. 

"Ahem," a nasally voice spoke. 

Suddenly, the chatter stopped. At the door of the class was a yellow pearl, clearly from the Homeworld section of the school. She was dressed in pale yellow dress with short gauze sleeves. Her round gem shone upon her chest, obviously treated with care. In front of her was a holographic screen, but she quickly dismissed it as she stepped into the doorway. "I require Pearl Perle of Facet- 1S9P, Cut-4CN," she stated, her nose turned up. Pearl awkwardly stood from her chair, the heavy atmosphere stifling her. "Please bring your possessions along," the other pearl said stiffly. 

With her backpack, Pearl stumbled towards the front the classroom, feeling humiliated and put on the spot. The yellow pearl gestured for her to follow her out into the hallway. The door closed behind Pearl and she couldn't help but feel that something was terribly off. The two pearls continued soundlessly down the school's network of hallways with the Pearl behind the yellow one. It was the yellow pearl that finally broke the heavy silence.

"Have you been informed about your current situation?" the yellow pearl asked. Pearl began to shake her head before realizing that the yellow pearl could not see her. "No, I haven't..." she said quietly. The yellow pearl huffed and muttered something about a lazy little peridot not doing her job. "You are being transferred to the Homeworld class, and more specifically, the pearl sector of the class," The yellow pearl stated.

Pearl tried not to shudder. The idea of being with others like her, yet were different from her, created an uncomfortable feeling within her. She knew from her father about the history about pearls. How they were created like dolls, used as playthings for the wealthy. How they previously had no will and were devoted mindlessly to their masters. Had things changed since the Gem Reformation? Pearl bit her lip, her mind wandering back to the incident with the jasper. Obivously not...

Suddenly, the yellow pearl stopped, turning around to face Pearl. Pearl flinched, her thoughts almost causing her to collide with the other pearl. The yellow pearl inspected Pearl, her nose slightly wrinkling as her eyes looked up and down, and finally stopping at Pearl's gem. "Your attire might be an issue. It expresses..."the yellow pearl said with disdain, "Too much individuality. The quality seems appropriate but the colors and bows may have to be changed, according to Mother's taste,"

Mother? Pearl thought. Her thoughts were again interrupted by some sharp prodding by the yellow pearl. Pearl shrieked, her combative reflex kicking in. She gripped the other pearl's wrist before she could prod again. The yellow pearl was shocked at first, but that expression was quickly replaced with disgust. "Oh, this will simply not do," she stated, harshly pulling her arm back. She rubbed it tenderly before haughtily spinning around and walking again. Pearl followed her, a bit more determined to keep up with the yellow pearl.

Finally, the two came to a stop in front of a electronic door labeled QUADRANT 4 in Homeworld's native alphabet. "You will be taught by Mother all the mannerisms and knowledge a pearl should possess," the yellow pearl stated, her focus on the nearby keypad. She began to type in a code as she continued to speak. "Dance, proper speech, posture, and other sorts of refinement," she said. The passcode was accepted and the door began to open. "And certainly not combat," she sniffed. The yellow pearl turned towards Pearl, her eyes again drifting towards Pearl's gem. "Any questions?"

Pearl nodded, "What's your name?"

The door was nearly open. The yellow pearl met Pearl's gaze, her expression betraying shock again before falling back into its original demeanor. "It isn't important,"

~Author's Note~

I'M BACK! Sorry for the lack of updates, but ever since the fourth Stevenbomb, I've been itching to write. The recent Stevenbomb has totally opened up new possibilities for this fanfic and I can't wait to keep writing. This chapter is a little rough, but hey, it's an update! Thanks for much guys for staying with me as I go through writer's block and lack of updates! Your reads, votes, and comments keep me going!

ANNOUNCEMENT: If you don't know already, I have recently just posted the prologue for Steven Steampunk, something that you guys voted I would write. I have a HUGE plot planned out for it and I can't wait to dive into it.

Next Chapter: Defective. We'll learn the yellow pearl's name (I got pretty sick of writing "the yellow pearl" in this chapter XD) and who "Mother" is for the pearl and introducing some other pearls! Thanks for your support and I'll see you guys again soon!