Chapter 7-Mother Knows Best

The household of Yellow Diamond was still, only the sound of a child ringing through the halls. Peridot was creating a small army of robonoids in her functional bedroom. It was one of her preferred activites to pass time. The walls were lined with green metal, yellow interfaces and screens projecting against them. They displayed blueprints, diagrams, and models of robonoids. But today, Peridot was distracted by her own thoughts, ignoring the screens all around her.The lapis gem they had taken in for observation and refinement had caused trouble for Mother. She had sent a rather large wave that had flooded another class the other day. Mother had punished the gem accordingly, isolating her in her containment unit. Serves her right. Peridot grumbled. Peridot was not fond of other gems in the household; they stole attention from Mother and constantly were messing with Peridot's things.

That lapis gem was a prime example. Water did not go well with electricty. Peridot switched on the glass orb. "Establishing communication link with Plug Robonoid No. 103," she stated in her usual monotone voice. The robot immediately responded, sprouting legs and murmured as she placed it next to the others. It lined up precisely with the other 102 robonoids. Period began to start the next one but the sound of a warp pad alerted her attention elsewhere. Peridot wasted no time in hurrying down to the arrival quadrant, her footsteps clunking loudly against the hard metal floor. She unlocked the entrance way to the arrival quadrant of the household, merely placing her hand on the activation stand. The bright yellow door slid up as the young gem dashed underneath it.

Peridot stopped abruptly in front of the space green warp pad, looking up at it in slight fear. Standing on it was a rigid and sharp gem; Mother Yellow Diamond had arrived. Her figure overshadowed the young Peridot. Suddeny, the mother spoke with an authoritive tone. "You may speak now," she stated, beginning her descent down from the warp pad. Peridot was sure if she had a "heart", it would be thudding hard against her chest. "Welcome home Mother," she replied, shrinking back. Yellow Diamond was now beside her, not stopping and not looking down. "Come," the mother figure said as she walked out from the arrival quadrant. Peridot wasted no time in pursuing after her overseer.
****
Peridot now traveled soundlessly beside her mother down into the heart of the household, occasionally looking up at her. Mother was so tall...powerful...and collected. Peridot furrowed her eyebrows; how could she be related to her? Peridot was given so much freedom, she didn't even live in a containment unit. And those extremely rare moments when Mother would praise her...she was filled with such satisifcation and pride. And that led to her thinking about that odd pearl. Did that pearl still wish to please like her programming coded her to do? What was life like without a set purpose, no rules, no standards... Peridot shook the thought away. It made her feel...uncomfortable.

The screens of holographic news were slowly disappearing as they went farther and farther into the depth of the galactic home. Soon, containment units lined the walls, many filled with actual gems. A topaz recoiled as the two walked past her, a moonstone covered her eyes as though she were afraid to look at them. Finally, Yellow Diamond stopped towards the higher levels of containment, the ones that were more secruely watched. Peridot peered past her cautiously, her unfinished robonoid still in hand. The lapis lazuli gem was sitting in front of the electric barrier. Her unkempt blue hair fell over her face as she looked down solemnly at the green metal floor.

"Peridot," Yellow Diamond said, keeping her gaze on the lapis. "Yes?" the child awkwardly responded, still keeping herself positioned behind Yellow Diamond's legs. "Take record of what I am saying," she ordered. Her child immediately obeyed, forming her fingers into her holographic screen, prepared to record. "This lapis has a great amount of control of water, information she witheld from my knowing." Yellow Diamond started. "I believe that she will become an asset when proper training is issued," Now the lapis gem looked up, a bold move for a prisoner. Yellow Diamond slowly nodded her head in thought. "Yes indeed, Peridot. She will be most useful in combat,"

As Periodt rapidly typed in her mother's words, Yellow Diamond leaned down towards the blue gem, their gaze interlocking in silent combat. "After all, Gems don't really change. It is not possible for them. A slave stays a slave, and an object stays an object," Yellow Diamond said sharply. From the corner of her eye, Peridot saw the lapis gem flinch for a brief second. Yellow Diamond pulled herself back into her usual stiff stance. "Also, remind me to transfer a certain gem from the Crystal class into ours. There is some...correction I must do. The transfer will take place on my return to the Authority School," Peridot dutifully swept her fingers across the virtual screen, the symbols of Homeworld's language filling the area. "And Peridot?" Mother Yellow Diamond asked, turning her body towards the triangular gem. Peridot tilted her head up, meeting up with blunt yellow eyes. Yellow Diamond gave a sickly sweet smile, taking Peridot completely by surprise. "You are a such a good little gem, always performing accordingly. This transfer, I hope she follows your example," And with that, Peridot more willingly followed Mother Yellow Diamond away from the containment areas.

-Author's Note-

ANOTHER POORLY WRITTEN CHAPTER! But I wanted to get this chapter out because today's episode was great. Like really, I seriously can't get over it. But no spoilers here.

I'm wanted to draw parallels to Pearl and Peridot (and Amethyst a bit but that's for next chapter). I fully believe the theory that pearls were programmed to serve, so I want to pull out some contrasts between how Peridot thinks and acts in response to her "overseer".

OMIGOSH YOU GUYS, I LOVE YOU ALL. SERIOUSLY!?!?! OVER 400 VIEWS?! You guys are the best. I've been busy lately, but I should be able to update next week or so. Next Chapter: You Can't Ignore the Universe! This is most likely going to be the next chapter unless further updated.

Thanks for your awesome comments and votes!