10: I'm Here

An offensive move is in order. Darren and I need to make Jax weak. And the best way to do so is to take his most powerful weapon: Adrian. But I can't help but remember that in a controlled state, my newfound ally believed that I was the weapon. I'm not sure what this means, or if it even means anything, but somehow I know that it's crucial. My thoughts often drift back to Jax's cave because of this, and I wonder what mysteries may lie in there. For now, I have to push these thoughts past me and pretend that Darren is trustworthy. I have no time to be cautious if I want to win this war against Jax. No military mastermind gave any second-thoughts, they just plunged into the madness because that is what was required to win. At least, that's what Adrian and I gathered after numerous history classes together.

"How do you suppose we do this?" Darren asks. I am the one that suggested we plan an attack.

I don't really know the answer; I seem to never do, but I manage to come up with something. "We need to leave my grounds so-"

"I don't think I have the energy," he interrupts abruptly. He seems frantic and jumpy as he bounces on the balls of his feet, like he's waiting for a monster to pop out at him any moment. I don't fear any beasts, because I banished Adrian long ago. But should I? I shake my head to clear my thoughts and continue the conversation.

"What do you mean? We just got some rest, and even before then you said you hadn't wasted all of your energy. You have to have something left." I cross my arms in defense.

Darren sighs, as if what he is about to say is about as plain as the nose on my freckle-less face. "The web used and exorbitant amount of my energy. I didn't know you were capable of such a feat. I don't think what I have will be sufficent."

I don't know if I should feel appalled at or admired by that statement about the Web. Most likely both; there is never an obscure here answer from what I've learned. I feel like I'm analyzing his every word, and I want a response that will show it discreetly, to make him nervous. But I can only come up with lame rebuttles.

"Well, we have to leave. Even with the Web, it just seems like we are way too vulnerable."

"I don't see how leaving will solve the problem," he counters wryly.

"You have a point, but staying won't solve any of our problems, either."

Darren narrows his eyes and stares me down, shaking his head in what can only be hatred or disgust (again, probably both). I have no idea why he seems so bent on prolonging the event of our departure. He has to know his attempt is futile, unless his cause has fogged his perception. Am I seeing too far into this? Or is important to pretend that no waters are shallow? What if they're deep and you drown by mistake? Isn't that what I did with Jax?

Too many questions. They swarm through my head like angry bees in a nest. Just because something is questionable doesn't mean that you have to question it, I tell myself. I'm not convinced though.

Because of my curiosity, I have the feeling that Darren is lying-or withholding information at least-so I propose something that will tell me for sure. I choose my wording carefully. "How about you stay here and hold down the fort while I go out and... investigate."

He looks skirmish, as if this isn't exactly what he wants, which assures me that he's definitely not telling me something. "Where do you even plan on going anyways?"

The answer pops instantly into my mind. I figure that if Darren, Jax, and I each have our own worlds, then there is a possibility that Adrian has one of his own too. I just have to find it, and do so inconspicuously. My means of transportation need to be somewhere where I can easily get lost in it's enormity. "For a swim," I answer, after I collect my thoughts.