20: Magnify

A magnifying glass distorts perception. It's a beautiful distortion, a helpful distortion, but what you're seeing while looking through one is distorted all the same. And that's what Adrian feels like to me: a simple distortion, nothing more. This feeling is almost justified when I turn around and see him facing me.

Because I tried to make it easier on myself, I realize that Adrian is still the person that he once was. Or at least, seems like it. I try not to get to happy at this fact as he looks at Darren and I urgently.

"Hello," Darren finally musters, as if his formality will make this situation easier and any less awkward.

Adrian stares at him from the train's doorway before a moment, but then shakes his head furiously as if he's trying to regain his focus. "We've got no time for this. Cleo, hi." He turns to me and gives a small wave. I just stand there, shell shocked. "I'm sorry, but we've gotta go. C'mon."

He turns to leave the train, but Darren and I just stand there, thoroughly confused. When Adrian realizes that we aren't following him, he stomps back inside the trian. "Well come on!" He grabs my hand. "We don't have all day!"

Darren and I both continue to stare.

"I'll explain on the way," Adrian promises. Tugging me by the hand, he drags me out of the train car, for my legs just don't want to cooperate. I assume Darren has no choice but to follow. He's like a ghost, floating behind us expressionlessly.

Adrian leads us through Darren's land as if it is his own. He looks determined and like he knows where he is going, but to me, it feels like he's wandering aimlessly. I'm just about to inquire about his direction when he says, "There's an underground tunnel to my world. That's where we're going."

Darren looks puzzled, brows furrowed with frustration. "Why don't we just--"

"Teleport? Like you do without asking? Because, Darren, the tunnel is faster, I swear it. And there's no whiplash whatsoever." I feel his grip tighten ever so slightly.

Darren nods curtly, his lips forming into a tight frown. The tension between them seems so evident that it's almost comical. But I can't find too much humor in anything as Adrian pulls me along. It's weird to see him with so much ambition in this new universe. It's almost as if he's normal again.

"Adrian," Darren says through clenched teeth. "This is my land, and I can promise you that there's nothing here. This search is hopeless. All of this is a wasteland, I'm telling you."

Adrian rolls his eyes in response. "Really, you think you know everything. But in reality, you know nothing at all. Just follow me; I know where I'm going." Was that malice I heard in his voice? I pull my hand away from his in shock.

"Adrian," I say, stopping in my tracks. "What's wrong?"

He doesn't even stop to look at me. "Nothing. You know I'm not one for inaction."

I can't say anything to that. We continue to follow him in silence, trudging along like we've been walking for hours rather than minutes. Finally, Adrian stops abruptly. Because I'm not expecting it, I almost crash right into him before I stop myself.

"This is it," he says. And he jumps three times over where he stands. The ground crumbles beneath his feet like it's cake rather than the compact and rocky dirt that we've been walking on. He creates a hole wide enough for us to shimmy down through.

"What the--"

"Now is not the time, Darren," Adrian snaps. "C'mon, let's go."

He puts his feet inside the hole. Using his arms to support him, he slides down it. I hear him land with a thud. Darren and I look at each other with incredulity, both wondering why he is acting so weird.