Chapter 1: Life as a Shifter

Hey guys, I've been planning to write this story but hadn't gotten to it until now, but I hope you like my new story, The Night Shifts. Not much else to say, so here's the story!
(Above is the characters, and Chipper does have green eyes, I just couldn't find a picture that matched)

Note: This chapter isn't the most interesting part of the book, and it isn't supposed to be, it's just here to start off the story. It gets way better in the following chapters.
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
I hate moving. I've moved about 6 times my whole life, 2 of which I don't remember. This is the 6th. How far back do I remember? From when I was about 3. So yes, I'm pretty experienced with moving.

But in no way does that change how I feel, meeting all the new people when I go to town for groceries, or even when I was in school, meeting the other students and teachers and trying (Key word: trying) to remember their names. Within a few days I'd make a few friends, but ever since 6th grade I've stopped trying to make close friends. Why? Because now I know, at some point, I'm sure I'll have to leave them.

I live on my own now, so I control when and where I move, or even if I want to stay somewhere. But I've lost the ability to become close with my friends. In the back of my mind, I'm still that 12 year old girl leaving her best friend, telling myself never to let this happen again. So I started over.

I moved to a little town named Rosewood in California (if that's a real town in California it's not based off of it). There, I bought a house close to the woods, out in a rural area, and I decided I'd stay here, and I'd only move if I really really had to.

My name is Mackenzie Turner, but my friends have all called me Mac. I like it better, it's not as girly. I'm 22 tomorrow, March 16. I lived a decently normal life, except one thing. I'm a shifter.

My shift is a wolf, so some might call me a werewolf, but really it's just the most common shift. My wolf's name is Ria, and I got my ability from my awesome mom, a rogue by force. Her pack was mostly killed off, but she always said it was a great thing for her, because she found her mate, and she didn't have to follow the orders of an alpha anymore. She loved being free.

The shifters are becoming scarce though, and I've never met a single other one even with all my moving. I'd lost hope in finding my mate, but if he did come along he'd have to be somewhere in Rosewood, because I wasn't leaving. It truly is a beautiful little town, so I had no reason to leave it. I'd met some of the residents here and they're all nice and excited for my move, and I'd even made a few friends.

   As I walked through the front door of my new house I smiled. It was cozy, but actually quite spacious. It even had a loft up to an extra bedroom, along with the master and another guest on the main floor. The kitchen was nice, the living room had plenty of room, and it was beautiful outside, being so close to the forest. I wondered if there was a pack of shifters, most likely wolves, out there.

   I unpacked my things in my room, and watched some tv for a bit before deciding I should probably go out and eat. I decided I felt like Subway.

   I got into my truck, a midnight blue F150, and headed into town. I got in line, and then ordered my sub. As I paid I sniffed the air. I could smell... Something amazing. It was definitely werewolf, but there was also the smell of pines.

   I left with a smile on my face, taking deep breaths through my nose.

   'Mate!' Ria said.