Flashes {Chapter 1}

Song: To Build a Home // The Cinematic Orchestra

June 4th.

Red.

Red lights. Red blood.

Flashes of red everywhere.

I stumbled back from the collision before me, gasping for air, searching for a thought or a clear memory.

But all I saw was red.

Pain shot up my left leg and I cried as it gave out beneath me. I tumbled to the ground, my body slamming into the asphalt, arms lacking the strength to lighten the blow.

The cold air pierced my frozen skin and my damp clothes clung to me. I ran my shaky hands over the sticky material. Blood. More red.

And then black.

~

I felt a cool hand on my clammy one and I groggily opened my eyes to bright lights and unfamiliar faces. My head pounded and every muscle in my body was sore. Moving even the slightest bit seemed impossible.

"Ava! She's awake! Someone help, she's awake!"

I knew that voice. Just hearing it made everything a little bit clearer. My best friend was here. She was going to help me. It was going to be okay.

"Liz?" I groaned and shut my mouth immediately. Even talking hurt.

"Ava, I'm here. I was so worried you don't even know-" Liz began, her voice shaking and hesitant, yet relieved.

"Liz, wha-" I was quickly interrupted.

"Ava, I'm so glad you're awake." A blonde woman with a happy smile and sad eyes looked down at me.

I gave her a half nod, more confused than anything. I didn't remember much. Nothing really. Just flashes of black and red.

Red.

Blood.

I gasped, my hand flying to my mouth. My eyes darted around the room, fully taking in their surroundings.

Hospital.

"My mom and dad." I muttered, searching for them. I felt the hot tears prick my eyes. Their faces flashed in my mind.

I remembered being alone.

"Shh, lay down. You broke your leg, your wrist, and have a pretty serious concussion. Surprisingly small injuries for what you went through."

"Where are my parents?"

The nurse turned to Liz and whispered something in her ear. Liz nodded and painfully smiled at me. Why did sorrow fill her features? "I'll be back soon. I love you, remember that." She squeezed my hand and disappeared behind the curtain.

"Ava, you were in a serious accident. Do you remember any of it?"

I shook my head no.

"You were driving-" she shook her head. "Your parents were driving. It was raining pretty badly and you were heading right into a storm. A semi, it lost control and hydroplaned across the highway, crashing into you. Your car was pushed over the rail and tumbled down a hill into a ravine. You were found a couple hundred feet from the car."

I stared blankly at the curtain in front of me, trying to remember. Trying to piece together what the nurse was telling me.

"Ava, your parents. Between crashing head on with the semi and the tumble down the hill-" she stopped for a moment, almost contemplating her next words. "Their injuries were so severe. By the time they arrived here, there was little to nothing we could do for them. I'm so incredibly sorry."