Jail or Hell or Wherever you Deserve to go {Chapter 11}

Brady's POV:

In other news, two teenage girls from Wimberly, Texas were reported missing earlier this week. Ava West and Liz Collins were last seen at Cornerstone cafe Sunday afternoon. West, a current resident of Wimberly, is also five months pregnant. Police say there were no signs of forced entry at West's residence and are currently investigating the disappearance.

I threw the remote at the TV, cracking the upper left hand corner of the screen. 

Missing. Forced Entry. Investigating. Disappearance

Each word swirled through my head, picking and tearing at it.

My apartment was empty, as it always was. I usually enjoyed the privacy. In fact, I clung to it. Between my mother's antics and the drama that had recently crept into my life, the tranquility of my home was my only escape. But today, the silence was overwhelming and strange. It exemplified the loudness that was the outside world. How was I allowed to sit in this stillness while Ava's world was crashing and burning? How was that fair?

It should have been me, dammit. It should have been me.

"You know it's your fault."

I whirled around, surprised by the company.

My eyes connected with Hayden's glare. His sharp green eyes were tired and worn and a mop of messy brown hair covered the tips of his lashes. Despite his disheveled appearance, he looked angry and determined. He leaned against the door frame, arms folded, lips pressed into a thin, slight frown.

I knew he would come. It was just a matter of time.

I studied him for a moment, searching his features for a sign as to what I should do.

He didn't move.

"I know." I whispered, my eyes meeting his again.

"I could have you arrested, you know that? Just like that you could be in jail. It would be so easy..." He ran a hand through his hair, tugging at it.

I let him compose himself before speaking.

"So why don't you, Hayden? Why don't you call the police right now and have them cart me away?"

His head snapped up, making my heart jump. Anger flooded his features, contorting his face with rage. Before I knew what was happening, his fist connected with my left cheek, knocking me off the couch.

I stayed still.

"Don't you dare give me that shit, Brady. Don't. You. Dare. I don't give a damn about how guilty you feel or whatever pity party you're throwing for yourself. My sister is missing. Liz is missing. Your CHILDREN are missing, Brady! So get the hell up off your ass and do something."

A mix of emotions rushed through my veins. Anger, rage, guilt, sorrow, confusion.

"Hayden, in case you missed it, the police have no leads. What are we supposed to do?"

His hands were on me again, pulling me up off the ground. He stood me up, gave me a moment,  and then socked my right cheek too.

"You're kidding me, right? What are we supposed to do? Brady, I didn't tell Ava about your issues because I thought you had changed. I figured bringing up the past wouldn't do her any good. Bit look where that got us! You know as well as I do that now your past has wrapped her up in itself and you're telling me that there's nothing we can do? Think again."

"Do you know how much I've thought about that? Since she's disappeared the only thing on my mind has been her. Where she could be, if someone took her, if she's okay. Don't you think I've thought about the enemies I've made? How much of this is my fault?" I was screaming now, the veins popping out of my neck. "And don't you dare accuse me of just doing this for the babies! I love her, Hayden. I'm in love with her!"