We Start With Being Friends {Chapter 6}

Song: Way Down We Go // Kaleo

I hadn't seen or heard from Brady in a week. A full, dreadfully long, week.

My mind was spinning from the constant battle between knowing he needed space, and wondering if I had done something wrong. Other than getting pregnant, I suppose.

I slumped on my bed, tugging a hoodie over my head and pulling my long hair out of the back. My now protruding stomach was making it harder and harder to wear my normal clothes. I almost seemed to have "popped" overnight, which also made leaving the house more difficult. To make matters worse, school was starting in a few days. A new school, a new town, no friends, and a very pregnant belly to top it off.

It was almost too much to handle. Most nights I could feel the anxiety begin to trickle in the moment I was left alone for too long with my thoughts. My breathing would hitch and I would sit alone gasping for air for minutes before Hayden found me. He always found me though.

As watchful and protective as he was, I missed my mother. I yearned for her touch, her advice, her smile. What was equally painful was the thought that I was bringing a baby into this world who would never have a chance of knowing its grandparents. I felt as though I was cheating it somehow, taking away a gift or blessing that it was entitled to.

A soft knock at the door startled me from my gloomy thoughts.

"Come in," I whispered, knowing it was Hayden.

His brown hair peeked through the door. "Hiya." He said, plopping down on the bed next to me.

"Hi." I mumbled back.

"So, school's starting in a few days and I figured you probably needed, you know, things." Hayden said, tousling his dark hair.

"Things?"

"Yeah, things. Clothes, supplies. Stuff." He shrugged, clearly a little uncomfortable.

I sighed, covering my face with my hands. "You know, oh wise older brother, you don't have to buy me anything if I don't go to school."

Hayden laid back so his body was parallel with mine. We were both silent as we stared at the ceiling.

"Aves, I know you don't want to go. Trust me, I know. I remember hating every single moment of high school, and I can only imagine what you're feeling with everything you have going on," he turned to face me, "but we both know that you have to go. I promise though that I will do everything in my power to make this as comfortable as possible for you. Whatever you want, Ava."

I felt a single tear slide down my cheek as Hayden squeezed my hand in his.

"I think that so far, we make an okay team." He whispered.

"I think me make a pretty great team." I smiled, wiping the tears away.

A rasp at the front door jarred me from my thoughts yet again.

"I'll get it." Hayden said, standing up.

I nodded, rolling over to my side. I was scrolling through my music when the yelling began.

"What the hell do you think you're doing here?!" Hayden screamed.

I couldn't make out what the other person was saying. I jumped to my feet and scrambled down the stairs, stopping halfway before reaching the last step.

In the doorway stood Brady. What was he doing here? Why did it sound like Hayden hated him so much?

"Hayden, I'm sorry. I just need to talk to Ava." Brady said, he stood tall and confidently. I was surprised considering Hayden had a good few inches on him.