The Beta, the Gamma, and the Sister

"Are you kidding me? Sam, I'm going to kill you," my ears twitch hearing the muffled voices from downstairs. Pealing my heavy eyelids open, I turn my body on its side to see the beginning rays of sunshine peeking through the curtains drawn over the large balcony windows. 

It seems like after last night's incident, I managed to sleep through the remainder of the night. Thinking back to it, I hardly remember Derek putting me back to bed during the early hours of the morning. 

"Will you guys shut it? If you wake up Bella with your loud mouth, you'll have me to deal with," Derek's all-too-familiar voice is the last thing I hear before the previous yelling turns to soft arguments.

I wonder who else is downstairs.  

Sitting up and pushing my legs off the bed, I lazily rub the sleep from my eyes while a yawn escapes my lips. The wonderful smell of bacon floating from the kitchen keeps me focused on getting ready for the day. If it wasn't for my hungry stomach, I'd probably fall back asleep for another thirty minutes. 

Before entering the bathroom, I notice all of the glass shards on the floor along with the picture frame I broke were gone. Did Derek tidy up the room I ruined last night? Guilt floods my stomach knowing I kept him from getting sleep last night. Did he even get to finish his emergency meeting?

Nice going, Bella. You can't go a few hours without making things difficult for others. 

My reflection in the mirror wasn't surprising. With the little sleep I received last night, dark bags appear under my eyes which are still puffy from crying. With unkempt hair to match, one can say I'm a hot mess in need of a hot shower. 

Without wasting any more time I pull my clothes off before standing under the warm water from the silver showerhead. My aching muscles quickly relax along with my thoughts. The events from last night seem to slide off me like the water into the dark depths of the shower drain. 

This new life won't be easy, but I should at least try to go along with it. Derek did promise to make things right between us. 

A thick, white towel offers me privacy as I dig through my suitcase for a clean outfit. Grabbing clean undergarments, shorts, and a long-sleeve shirt, I quickly change before brushing my hair and teeth. Anything and everything I could possibly need seems to be in this bathroom. Derek wasn't kidding when he said this house was built for us. He surely thought of everything when stocking this room.

By now, the steam's cleared out from the bathroom revealing my reflection once again. Although I still look tired, my appearance looks more lively. More color has returned to my skin and my eyes aren't as dull. 

This will have to do. 

Slowly walking to the bedroom door, I hesitate before opening it. Once I leave the safety of my room, I'll have to face Derek and two new people. I can't sense anyone else in the house which I'm grateful for. 

You can do this Bella. Stay strong. Focus on breakfast for now. 

"Ow...ow-" the angry grunts of pain are getting louder now as I walk down the hall. "Why don't we cut it out? At this point, there's no salvaging this," one of the guys from downstairs releases a defeated groan. 

I try to keep my presence unknown for as long as I can in order to prevent my anxiety from going off the deep end. The wooden floorboards don't help my case as some creak just a little under my weight as I near the staircase. 

"Don't you dare cut my- OW! That hurts! Stop touching me!" The loud screams stop me in my tracks as I peer down the staircase. From where I stand, I can't see what the commotion is all about, but I know I'm getting close.