Growing Closer

This car ride will go down as one of the most uncomfortable rides I've ever been on. Neither one of us said a word to each other, let alone acknowledge each other's presence. So we sat, for thirty minutes of silence.

Derek didn't bother telling me where he's taking me, but it looks like we're arriving at a cabin deep in the forest. To top things off, a storm has followed us all the way here making our surroundings dark and gloomy. If we weren't mates I'd think he's trying to kill me.

The cabin looks like a life-like Lincoln Logs house with a dark green roof to match. It hardly appears welcoming with an empty front porch, a broken light out front, and a dimly lit interior. If this is one of his properties, he doesn't take much care of it.

I'm ripped from my thoughts as Derek slams his car door shut. With the car switched off and safely parked on the dirt driveway, he doesn't say a word to me as he stomps up the set of stairs to the front porch while digging for the keys in his front pocket.

Would he let me sit in here if I didn't follow him inside?

I let out an angry huff as I slowly step out of the car and shut the door behind me. By the time I make my way towards the little staircase, Derek finally finds his keys and wastes no time unlocking the front door.

To my surprise, Derek walks in leaving the front door open slightly without so much as a glance my way. Lights begin to illuminate the cabin as he trudges through each room.

Is he serious right now?

Clenching my jaw, I finish my ascent up the steps and begrudgingly walk into the cabin. As I shut the door I can see Derek emptying his pockets onto the kitchen counter, his back facing me. It doesn't take a genius to see how tense his muscles are. I can feel his frustration from across the room.

"How chivalrous of you to leave me out there. I'm shocked you didn't shut the door in my face," I break the silence as I glare at my infuriating mate. Derek spins around his glare matching my own, "oh I'm sorry, did I leave the spoiled princess outside all alone?"

His condescending tone struck a nerve deep inside leaving me speechless for a few seconds. For a brief moment, I see the regret on his face however it doesn't last long.

Me? Spoiled? How could he say something like that?

Biting the inside of my cheek, I turn around reaching for the front door. I don't need this. I didn't ask to be treated this way, and I definitely won't allow him to talk to me like that.

Tears begin to line my eyelids as I aggressively pull the door open and storm outside. Thunder rumbles off in the distance but I couldn't care less if I get stuck in the rain, it wouldn't be my first time.

Derek watches me disappear in the woods from his place in the kitchen. Every urge and instinct in his body screams for him to chase after me, but his anger foolishly keeps him rooted to the ground.

The second those words left his mouth, he felt sick to his stomach. He would never say such a thing to his mate, but he lost control.

As soon as he lost sight of me his possessive nature kicks in gear pushing him outside. He can't spend a single second away from me no matter how frustrated he is.

Derek's sudden footsteps give me an uneasy feeling as I quickly wipe the tears racing down my cheeks. It seems like he can't leave me be for even a few minutes.

"Bella, stop," he growls as I ignore him.

Why should I? He's not in a reasoning mood.

I feel caged in with his constant presence which frustrates me because I know I shouldn't feel that way. Derek's been so kind and gentle with me up until now, it's my fault I can't get over my past.