The White Rabbit

Chapter 1- The White Rabbit

Alice always admires the color blue--the color of the sky and water. In her blue eyes, it's a soothing color. Blue gives her a hint of tranquility and peace while her head is filled with chaos.

Yet, her chaos isn't like the normal energetic imagination; her chaotic brain is more serious than that. Her brain tricks her and deceives her, and the clouds in her mind are too stormy to reveal the truth. In Alice's brain, there is no separation between reality and her illusions. Everything blends together not-so-perfectly.

Alice quietly sits in the grass, petting her kitten, Dina, as her mother frantically places the finishing touches to her tea party decor. Her mom spent the last hour adjusting the tablecloths, setting up the silverware, and placing the tea cups in just the right position in order for her bookclub's tea party to be the best one they've ever had. During that time, Alice just sat in the garden, exploring her own thoughts.

Alice's mother always noticed that her daughter was a one that frequently escaped into her thoughts, but it was only 'till recently that her mom began noting all of Alice's odd behavior. The more her mother conversed with the wealthy ladies in her bookclub, the more she started to distinguish her daughter's antics from other children's behavior.

Suddenly, the guests begin to arrive, and her mother puts on a welcoming smile, greeting each of the women. After greeting a couple guests, she notices that Alice isn't greeting with her which she found rather impolite.

"Alice, dear, why don't you come and welcome our guests?" Her mother calls out across the garden.

Immediately, Alice leaves her thoughts behind and skips up to all of the ladies in her blue dress with a big smile. She makes sure that she makes small talk with each lady in order to make her mother proud. Alice's mom always taught her how to be lady-like and poised, but sometimes, Alice just enjoyed being her crazy self.

"Oh, goodness! Alice, I forgot to put a teapot where Mrs. Townnes is sitting. Would you mind going inside real quick and grab the one on kitchen table for me, please? Be careful and make sure to offer her some tea." Alice's mother gracefully asks.

"Yes, mother." Alice playfully skips off into the cottage that they call home and carefully grabs the warm teapot. Cautiously, she makes her way outside to the sitting area in the garden when something catches her eye.

Crash!

The noise of the teapot shattering into a million pieces against the hard earth, makes everybody jump and gasp. Every eye is on the confused, young girl as she stares at something in the distance.

"Alice!" Her mother scolds, "I told you to be careful!"

Yet, Alice's ears never registered her sentence. All Alice could focus on was the White Rabbit dressed in a trench coat with a pocket watch, yelling, "I'm late! I'm late! I'm late!"

"Alice, are you listening to me?" Alice's mom scolds.

The mad girl just points a finger in the direction of the imaginary rabbit with disbelief spread across her face, "Look! Look!"

Everyone follows their gaze to where she points, but yet, there is nothing there. The rabbit is something only Alice's eyes can see.

"What is it?" A lady asks.

"There! Can't you see it? Look, it's a rabbit in a trench coat! And it's talking. Can't you hear it?"

"What rabbit? There isn't anything there," a woman tells her while other ladies just laugh at the thought of a rabbit speaking.

The enraged mother looks at Alice with her eyebrows knitted together, "Alice, this is nonsense. Stop it!"

"Mother, look!"

"There isn't anything there, dear."

"Yes, there is. Look!"

"Alice, stop it," the mother hisses, "you're embarrassing me!"

"But, Mother--"

"No, Alice! Stop this nonsense right this instant."

Her mother's words forced silence upon Alice, but the more her eyes dart towards the rabbit, the more vividly he becomes. Suddenly, she watches the rabbit bounce away into the woods, screaming, "Oh, no! Oh, dear! I'm late. I'm late. I'm late!"

"Now, Alice," the mother's dainty hands grip her daughter's arm as she scolds, "let's drop this and continue to have a good time, okay? No more of this nonsense..." her words fade away as her green eyes register that Alice isn't paying attention. "Alice," her mother scolds, but her scolding doesn't affect Alice one bit.

Once Alice sees the White Rabbit frantically bounce into the woods, her curiosity takes over, blocking out her surroundings. Nothing in the world matters except for that White Rabbit.

Jerking her arm out of her mother's grasp, Alice sprints away from their garden and to the edge of the woods. Her wondrous blue eyes peek through the trees and leaves, desperately trying to find that rabbit.

"Alice! You get over here this instant, young lady!" Her mother's screaming doesn't register in her hears as she darts into the unknown in search of the White Rabbit.

"I'm late! I'm late! I'm late!" She hears, but no sight of the rabbit.

"Oh, Mr. Rabbit! White Rabbit, where are you going?" Alice calls out as she weaves through the branches and leaves. Suddenly, she catches a tiny glimpse of a white speck out of the corner of her eye. Sure enough, the White Rabbit is jumping speedily away as he continues to yell, "I'm late! Oh, goodness! I'm late!"

Alice runs faster and faster until the White Rabbit is in arms reach. "Mr. Rabbit, where are you going? Can I come too?"

No response from the White Rabbit in the waistcoat. With the bunny's silence, Alice grows frustrated but doesn't stop, "Mr. White Rabbit, why won't you answer me?"

Suddenly, he takes a sharp turn, bouncing even quicker. Close behind him, Alice begins to giggle at how silly this all is until she sees the rabbit jump in a huge hole. She never saw it coming, so Alice loses her balance and falls into the deep, dark, wacky hole. The White Rabbit was nowhere to be seen but now, all Alice could focus on was the seemingly unending fall.

***

"Alice? Darling, are you alright? Alice!"

The sound of Alice's mum screaming wakes her up. Slowly sitting up from the cold dirt, she looks up to find her mother leaning over the fifteen-foot hole with worry in her eyes. Alice could've sworn her fall was way more than just fifteen feet. To her, it felt like hundreds of feet, but her mind distorts even the simplest of things.

"Oh, James, come quick! Alice is awake," the concerned mum shouts to her husband.

Soon enough, Alice's father leans over the hole, quickly lowering down a latter and climbing down it. "Are you okay, my little adventurer?"

Alice slowly nods, confused, as her dad scoops her up in his arms and carries her back up, "Did you hurt anything?"

"I don't think so..." Alice says, knitting her eyebrows.

"Well, now that we know you're alright, you're in big trouble, young lady." Her mother says with pursed lips.

Usually, Alice would be upset and dreading her future punishment, but she was caught up in the haziness of what she just experienced. After she fell in the hole, she traveled into a completely different world and continued her to find the White Rabbit and where he's going. She discovered so many unusual and peculiar things and people that were on her level of insanity. This place that she explored is a realm where butterflies where slices of bread and where soldiers were decks of playing cards. Nothing was normal.

What Alice could never grasp was that it never existed. The realm of what she called "Wonderland" was a sly trick that her brain played on her. It was a realm created from her schizophrenia.