Goodbye, Wonderland

Chapter 11- Goodbye, Wonderland

Months passed with Alice attending treatment, but there was little-to-no progress. No matter what, her mind and heart was set on Wonderland, and nothing was going to separate her from that wondrous place. To the little girl, the Schizophrenia Treatment Facility was just a place to play and goof off with The Mad Hatter. Even though they have a significant age difference, they became close friends; maybe it was because of how child-like Mr. Rummage's personality was. All the other patients seemed to be improving and making progress while The Mad Hatter and Alice simply weren't.

"Thank you, Mrs. Hatman, for coming down here," Elizabeth said as she sat in a desk across from Alice's mother.

"You're surely welcome, so what do you need to talk with me about?" The mother asked, concerned and shaky.

Elizabeth inhaled deeply then slowly exhaled before speaking, "Well, Mrs. Hatman, um... I've been really watching Alice the last couple months, and she doesn't seem to be improving at all. She is a lovely girl, but I don't think our program is really reaching out to your daughter. She keeps on talking and talking on and on about this made-up place, and no matter how much therapy we do, Alice keeps on reverting back to the same ways. She isn't able to let go of this fantasy land, and it needs to be put to a stop. At this age, it may not seem big due to the fact that she's a child, but this can definitely take its toll on her when she is an adult."

"So..." Alice's mother trailed off, feeling hopeless. This treatment was supposed to help her child and now that it hasn't she seems at a loss. The mum didn't know where to turn or which direction to go in that'd be best for her daughter, so she asked the kind employee for advice, "then, what are your suggestions?"

"What I think you should do is take her to another doctor, and explain that you've tried this treatment for several months now but it isn't working. Chances are, they will give her some medication for her to take daily, but I must say that there is no cure for schizophrenia. The medication only prevents it." Elizabeth suggested out of adoration for the troubled young girl.

What Elizabeth told Alice's mother was correct. Alice ended up having to take medication which made all of her hallucinations just fade away. After the meds came in her life, she never could put the puzzle pieces together, but she noticed that Wonderland was no longer a part of her. She missed it; honestly, she missed Wonderland dearly. Alice missed the thrill, the fright, the amazement, and wonder of it all. There were times where she asked her father or mother what happened to Wonderland, and they'd tell her that Wonderland is gone now. Everything has drifted away. Wonderland was just a mere memory.

Through the rollercoaster of her schizophrenia, Alice knew that sometimes your imagination could do impossible things, and she loved the impossible. She loved the nonsense. She loved the curiosity. And she loved the wonders.

One day, Alice replayed every little detail that ever happened in Wonderland, and the ache for it grew terrible. But she knew it was time to let it go, so she did by whispering two words under her breath, "Goodbye, Wonderland."