Chapter 8

Chapter 8

4 days has passed since my mum passed away, and I still feel numb. I haven't left Cheryl's flat at all, other than going to my house that one time. Cheryl had phoned my work and explained things, and the doctor gave me a sick line. 

Cheryl had also dealt with school, she had gone in and explained everything to Mrs Lavery. She wanted to speak with me and although she was one of the few people I trusted, I wasn't ready to talk to her yet. I didn't want to talk to anyone.

Other than Cheryl.

I honestly don't know how I would get through any of this without her. I really don't. I feel really bad that she needs to go through this. She has been spending all her time with me, she hasn't even gone in to work either or school. 

"Chez....Oh sorry Kimberley, Have you seen Cheryl?" I turn quickly at the sound of Garry's voice. I wipe my tears away and shake my head.

"She said she was just going to get some petrol for the car, she should be back any second" 

"Okay thanks, Can you just tell her that I'll make my own way to school" He says and I nod and give him a smile.

"Of course"

"Thanks, I'm really sorry about you're mum Kimberley, I hope everything goes okay today" He says and I nod again as another tear leaves my eye as he walks out the living room.

For someone so young, he is very mature, very like cheryl. I haven't seen much of him, he has stayed her the past two nights, but he's stayed out the way and hasn't been any bother to Cheryl. 

Today is my mum's funeral. I don't even know if many people will turn up because I don't know who knows that she is dead, I don't know if she had any friends, or if all her friends were just the drunks that she met at the pub, or braught back home. 

I didn't know.

I didn't expect her to have a big turn out, But I hoped that at least some people showed up. 

Cheryl had also helped organise the funeral. I had no idea where to begin. I don't even think I would have been strong enough to deal with it. I remember when we had the funeral last year my mum although completley devastated dealt with it all. Right down to every last detail.

She stayed strong then.

I had told Cheryl which song to play and that was it, she did everything else and I think she also had help from Mrs Lavery. 

Garry had only left 5 minutes when Cheryl came through the door.

"Hey babe" 

"Hey" 

"You okay?"  She asks as she puts down a bag and I nod as she comes over and gives me a hug. I sometimes forget that we have only just met, It feels like I've known her my entire life. I don't think I have ever felt so comfortable around anyone than I do with her.

"Yeah, you just missed Garry he says.."

"Its alright babe, I got him just down the street" She smiles and I nod as I pull back and take a seat on the sofa. 

"We should get going babe" She says, sitting down beside me.

I nod and look down at the floor. I don't know If I can go through with it. I still remember the funeral for my dad, brother and sisters and I remember how awful it was, how awful it was watching them lower them into the ground, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to cope watching my mum join them.

"I don't know if I can do this" I admit out loud. "I know that makes me sound terrible but, I don't know If I can.."

"It doesn't make you terrible. Babe you are 18 years old and you have gone through enough to last you a lifetime. No one would blame you if you couldn't go, but you can do it Kimberley, I will be there the whole time, You are alot stronger than you think and even though its going to be difficult, you will get through it."