Chapter 32

Play the song once dinner starts.

I totally forgot I told Trevor to come by around one-thirty.

After Colten's confession I'm not exactly sure where we stand, hopefully it's somewhere good, though.

"Hey," he smiles brightly, dressed in a red knit sweater and dark jeans.

"Hey," I greet anxiously. Trevor's eyes zero in on something behind me and I already know who it is.

"What's he doing here?" Trevor asks. My heart beats rapidly in my chest trying to come up with an excuse, but I can't seem to get my brain to work.

"I came over to make sure she had a ride," Colten tells Trevor and doesn't look at me as he walks out the door past Trevor. I sigh, having hope that this doesn't make us backtrack, I don't think I could take it.

"Shall we leave?" Trevor pulls me from my thoughts.

"Yeah, just let me grab my jacket and shoes," I tell him and he nods. I grab my brown leather jacket and white high heels. The dress is a little short for the weather considering it's snowing still, but it was just to pretty to pass up.

The drive to the Mathews household is filled with small conversations about how the dinner is going to go.

I can't pay attention though because all my thoughts seem to be drifting back to Colten. Back to Colten's confession, his lips and hands, mostly the way he left without looking at me, though.

When the house comes into view my stomach clenches and knots.

"Ready?" I hadn't even realized Trevor got out of the car much less holding my door open for me.

"Definitely," I attempt a smile, but it comes out more a grimace.

I loop my arm through Trevor's leaving an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I keep my eyes trained on the ground so I don't accidentally slip, that'd be embarrassing. 

Trevor raises his fist and knocks on the door. Not even a second later Mrs. Mathews opens the door wearing her long sleeved red dress.

"Come in, come in, happy Thanksgiving," she smiles brightly like she always does, her hair is curled naturally and she has a crystal headband in like me.

"Happy Thanksgiving," I smile and go in for a hug.

I wait for Trevor to finish hugging Karen before we walk into the kitchen, where to my disappointment, everybody is. You'd think they'd be out in the living room watching the football game, but no they have to be in here.

"Nikki!" Mom smiles and rushes over to me like she hadn't just seen me this morning. "And whose this dashing young fellow?"

Please stop with the formal words.

"This is, um," my gaze locks with Colten's and he looks back at me, expecting an answer.

"Her boyfriend. Nice to meet you Mrs. Long, I'm Trevor Fults," Trevor moves his hand to my mom for her to shake, which she does.

"We had no idea Nikki had a boyfriend," my mom glares at me. Oh please.

"Yes, and I'm her father, Josh Long," my dad shakes Trevor's hand. "How old are you?"

Now he tries to play protective dad?

"Eighteen, sir," Trevor answers respectfully.

"Plan on going to college?"

"Dad? Shut up," I snap and my dad chuckles, surprisingly. What the fucking hell?

"You better be treating my daughter right," he gives him a pointed look before clapping him on the back and sitting back down.