two

Josh sat through maths, history, english, and physics, each teacher giving the same introduction speech and asking for the same amount of his attention: all of it. Finally, as his physics teacher was about to assign pages to read in their new textbooks, the lunch bell rang. He scrambled out of his class with the rest of the students.

Last year, Josh had B Lunch but all of his three friends had A. For most of the year he sat alone at a table towards the back of the cafeteria, finishing his meals quickly so that he could leave the watchful presence of the other students. This went on every day until he met Brendon.

Brendon was kind of loud, a jokester and a little rude sometimes but he was a nice guy. He had watched Josh sit alone for too long and one day just sat down next to him. Eventually he introduced him to Patrick, Pete and Dallon but none of those guys liked Josh as much as Brendon did. By the end of the year they were best friends. Josh could only hope the school schedule gods were gracious to him this year and put them in the same lunch hour.

"Hey! Band geek!"

Speak of the devil. Josh turned his head to see Brendon coming at him at full speed with his arms outstretched. They collided and Brendon latched on for dear life, grinning like the Cheshire Cat. Josh squeezed the boy and held on for a few moments before letting go to walk beside him. "Hey Breadbin."

Brendon laughed, wrapping his arm behind Josh. "What are the odds that we have lunch together again this year?"

"Honestly, I was worried for a moment." Josh wasn't sure if he could stand another year of watching people around him with their friends that seemed inseparable. That's partly why he liked Brendon so much; the few friends he had when he entered high school had slowly drifted from him.

"Aw you know I wouldn't let be alone all day. It is mostly your fault though," Brendon snatched Josh's schedule from his bag, "Why are you in art?"

"Because I like art." Josh grabbed the paper back and shoved it in his bag.

"You can't draw for shit."

"That doesn't matter." Josh argued as they approached the cafeteria. For some reason, the large room was louder than usual and it made him want to turn around and walk away. He would go off-campus for lunch but the closest restaurant was too far to walk. He rarely drove his car to school because he lived fairly close to the school.

Everyone was talking at the same time and Josh could only hear snippets of particularly loud conversations. He quickly took a place in line to get whatever was being served and Brendon was right behind. Room temperature chicken nuggets and crunchy french fries were placed on a tray and the tray in his hands. Brendon wrinkled his nose at the sight and hugged his bag to his chest.

"Dude I thought you made a personal vow to bring your own lunch after the cheese incident last year."

"Don't. Speak of it." Josh spoke through gritted teeth and glared at his friend. "And yes I did. I just forgot this morning. I got here a little late."

"Why? What happened? Did you sleep in?" The boys sat at an empty section of a table, Brendon pulling a colorful sandwich and chips out of his bag. Josh took the chips to read the packaging.

"Veggie chips?"

"Oh man they're so good. I bought them just to try but I think I'm addicted now."

Josh smirked and then frowned at his drab school lunch. Oh well, he'd eat later.

"Hey guys," A familiar voice called to them and Josh looked up to see Pete, Patrick, and Dallon sitting down beside them.

"Sup Pete." Brendon spoke around a mouthful of sandwich and beamed at his mate. Pete smiled back and started a conversation about a band he'd found a over the summer called Pvris. Josh looked over at the other boys and smiled at Patrick. Patrick was the quietest of the boys and probably nicest. He smiled back, "How was your summer, Josh?"

"It was alright. All I did was stay inside and blast music." Josh was being completely serious.

"Oh. Well are you doing anything now that you've been forced outside?"

"He's letting me sleep over tonight." Brendon butted in before Josh could answer.

"Am I?"

"Yeah you are." Brendon munched his chips, his eyes daring Josh to protest.

"Ooh can I come?" Pete smirked, stealing a chip from Brendon and crunching loudly.

"Sorry, Peter, but no." Brendon held his chips close, "It's just me and Josh tonight."

"What about me?" Dallon glanced up from his phone for the first time since he sat down.

"No. The real reason is... J's mom doesn't like you guys." Pete laughed at the statement and grabbed another chip. Brendon smacked his hand, "It's true. Sorry."

Josh chuckled and pulled out his phone to check his tumblr. The guys picked at each other for a few more minutes until the bell rang. They stood in unison and went to their respective classes, Brendon following Josh to Spanish.

The rest of the day was uneventful and Josh was dangerously bored after the last bell rang. He all but ran out the school doors and to the parking lot where he waited to see Brendon. The boy was standing near the doors, chatting with a pretty girl with brown hair and big blue eyes. They waved to each other and he walked slowly to Josh, a dopey grin on his face.

"So. Who was that? I bet her last name is Urie. Or, at least, you want it to be."

Brendon stuck his nose into the air, "Her name is Sarah and I met her in Chemistry."

"Aw of course you did. Because you two have-"

"Don't even. I will throw you in a ditch." He passed Josh and and walked to his car, opening the door and climbing in. Josh followed suit, plopping into the passenger seat.

"Alright alright I'll drop it. But I'll bring it up again tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day. And the-"

"Do shut up." Brendon cranked up his car radio, blasting whatever was playing on the current station. Josh smiled and gave his friend a break for a short while so he would get home in one piece.