seven

The boys spent Saturday being shamelessly lazy, having fallen asleep watching American Horror Story the night before. Now they were standing in front of the couch, playing a fierce round of Guitar Hero. Josh was winning but only because he played this game whenever he was bored, which was a lot. Brendon struggled a little to keep up with his friend's surprising skill. He sighed at the end of the song, sitting down on the couch behind him. "Can we play something else?"

"Just cause you're losing? Ha. No." Josh went through the song selection, wanting to play one of his favorites. He chose Fat Lip by Sum 41 and turned to the other boy slumped on the couch.

"You only want to play because you're winning." Brendon was tapping at his phone screen, done with losing for the day. Josh frowned and set his plastic guitar aside.

"Eh you're right. What do you wanna do then?" He sat next to Brendon and rested his back against him, putting his feet up on the arm of the sofa. Brendon shrugged and yawned. Josh shifted a little and closed his eyes, wondering how he could be tired only four hours after waking up.

His thoughts drifted and he recalled the events of the past day. Something had been itching at his brain but he'd kept shoving it away thinking it was insignificant. The only way he'd get rid of this itching, though, was to scratch it. "Hey Bren?"

"Hm?" Brendon hummed.

"Why did you want to stay over this weekend?" Josh remembered the look Brendon had given him when he'd asked to stay. The emotions in his eyes were mixed, desperation and something else he couldn't pinpoint. He felt Brendon tense against his back and turned to see him quietly gazing at his fingers. "Bren? You okay?"

Brendon looked up. "Yeah. I'm fine. I just wanted to hang out, that's all." He was smiling now, as if it covered the way he'd locked up at the question. Josh gave him a long look, studying him hard. Brendon's smiled faltered and he turned back to his phone.

Josh had seen that the smile didn't reach Brendon's eyes and he stared at the boy a little longer before relenting. He would find out the cause of his friend's unhappiness, even if Brendon wasn't the one to tell him. The boys were quiet again and Josh closed his eyes.

A buzzing in his pocket made his eyes open again and he pulled his phone out. One knew message lit up the screen and he opened it up, a smile already ghosting his lips.

Tyjo: y0

Jishwa: hey what's up

Tyjo: slow saturday. How's ur part of the project coming?

All Josh had done regarding the project was pick out the colors he planned to use. He still had tonight and all of tomorrow to paint.

Jishwa: all good over here. You?

Tyjo: im almost done :) i did it early because i won't have time tomorrow

Jishwa: why? If you don't mind me asking i mean

Tyjo: it's fine i just have to work so I'll be out all day

Josh knew that meant Tyler probably had some kind of photo shoot or meeting. He couldn't make that obvious though. What would Tyler think if he found out Josh was one of the many people that stared at his Instagram posts longer than necessary or commented 'i love you' when they'd never met? Of course now that they had met, Josh was almost 100% sure he was in love with the boy.

Jishwa: ah okay. I'll be finished by monday

Tyjo: good. Another question: do you have an instagram or something?

Josh gulped.

Jishwa: yeah. I never use it though so...

Tyjo: oh okay. Never mind then :) sorry for bugging you. ttyl?

Jishwa: yeah ttyl

No you're not bugging me... I want to talk to you now not later.

"Josh, you're blushing again." Brendon raised an eyebrow at his red friend. Josh twirled his hair in his fingers and blushed harder. Why was Brendon so observant?

"No I'm not." He mumbled.

"It kinda hurts that you won't trust me with information like who you have a crush on." Brendon looked upset, his soft face creasing into a frown. Josh hated seeing the boy unhappy, it made him unhappy as well. But this time it frustrated him.

"I already told you who it is that I'm texting. You won't believe me. I'm not sure how to prove it to you." He watched Brendon's frown deepen before he dropped his eyes to his phone, giving up on the situation. Josh sighed, exasperated, when an idea came to him.

"Hold on." He unlocked his phone.

Jishwa: hey Tyler you still there?

It took a minute to recieve a reply and Josh figured he must be busy.

Tyjo: yeah. Something wrong?

Josh wondered how to formulate this text so he wouldn't sound creepy.

Jishwa: no i just wanna ask can you if you wouldn't mind sending a picture of yourself? you're the only contact in my phone without a pic next to the name

It wasn't a total lie.

Tyjo: ha sure. Just a minute.

Tyjo: [Image attached]

Josh's heart jumped and he took a breath to steady himself. He wondered if he would ever get use to Tyler's eyes or smile and how long it would take.

Jishwa: thanks. Sorry if that was weird it was just bothering me.

Tyjo: nah i get it. What about you? I need a picture for my contacts :)

Josh: I'll send one later. I look like crap right now lol

He'd never been able to take just one picture and be okay with it. There was always something wrong. His hair was too messy or his smile looked weird. He felt a bit of envy for Tyler's ability to look good in any photo.

Tyjo: i bet 500 bucks u look good af but okay. don't forget to send it.

Jishwa: i won't. bye now

Tyjo: xo

Josh couldn't even deny his blushing now. He could feel the heat radiating from his skin. He heard a sigh and looked over his shoulder at Brendon.

"Alright here." He opened his messages and handed his phone over. Brendon read quietly and tapped to open the image. His eyes widened and he met Josh's gaze.

"Dude..."

"Do you believe me now?" Josh reached for his phone.

"Hang on I'm not done admiring yet."

He scoffed, grabbing his phone. The smirk on Brendon's face widened.

"After all the time you spent stalking him I'll be upset if you don't ask him out. I might have to ask him out myself."

Josh swatted his arm and sat back, unamused by his friend's laughter.

_____

I'm sorry this took so long :( last week was really busy and I'm still behind. Also this story has 400 reads holy smokes thank you guys ♡