fourteen

Tyler lived downtown. Not quite considered the city, but there were no green lawns or kids playing in the street. There were restaurants and stores and one or two hotels from what Josh had seen. The streets were busy even at 1 am.

Josh wondered where these people could be going. Didn't they need sleep? To be fair, he was wide awake as well, walking the streets with no supervision. He had reason, though. He shifted his gaze to Tyler's shoes, relatively small in size, covered in tiny pink flowers. He took in the boy's whole look; his clothes and face were relaxed and his hair was wild. He watched his fingers rise and part the strands, spreading them in odd angles. Josh couldn't stop himself from imagining his own fingers gliding through the mess on Tyler's head and proceded to blush as his thoughts wandered farther than he intended.

A nudge on his shoulder pulled Josh out of his daze. Tyler came to a stop, wearing an unreadable smile. A loose gesture on Tyler's part brought Josh's attention to the large Walmart parking lot behind him. Despite the busy highway, many of the car spaces were empty.

"Wanna go in?" Tyler switched his weight from foot to foot. How often does one get to wander around a grocery store at 1 am?

"Yeah." Josh mimicked Tyler's strange smile and they continued their walk side-by-side.

The lot was vacant of activity, only a few cars were left parked, belonging to employees, most likely. Automated doors welcomed them inside and a chill met Josh's bare arms. They had entered near the freezer aisle and it was his least favorite place in the store. He felt Tyler's arm press against his and looked over to see him shivering a little as well. They hurried to a warmer part of the store.

Tyler became distracted by the clothing section as they walked by. Specifically by a black skeleton pullover hanging on one of the racks. He went over to it and picked out his size before pulling it on over his head.

"What do you think?" He turned to Josh.

"Skeletons aren't supposed to be cute, I don't think."

Tyler grinned and tugged the hood-mask on, zipping it up all the way. "Still cute?"

Josh smirked at the small bump Tyler's nose made in the fabric, "Yeah. Your voice is ruining your image, dude."

Tyler grinned harder, thankful for the mask hiding his face. "I'm gonna buy it."

Josh nodded, "I'm more of a... pink, sequined rabbit guy myself." He grabbed the hoodie off the rack and pulled it on, hot pink fuzz immediately clinging to his shirt. Tyler's signature giggle escaped from the emotionless skeleton standing with its hands behind its head.

"I think I can pull this off." Josh couldn't zip the thing, the wool unwilling to stretch around his body.

"I think you're going to have a hard time actually pulling it off." Tyler revealed his face again, little jagged teeth on display. He grabbed the end of one sparkly sleeve and tugged.

"Crap, I think you're right," Josh laughed, trying to free himself. How had it been so easy to put the darn thing on? Tyler released the sleeve for a moment to cover his face, his laugh light yet genuine, making Josh grin even wider.

Josh worked the sleeves down to his elbows, studying Tyler's smile. His teeth were small and crooked, but they only made Josh like it more. He didn't realize his arms were free until Tyler sighed and his giggles subsided. Josh returned the innocent looking arm trap to the rack.

"So let's never do that again," Josh took a few steps away from the hoodie section, luring another smile out of Tyler. Tyler- who was half-skeleton, half-boy, and 100% charmed by the goofy nerd he was hanging out with- removed his hoodie so he could pay for it.

"Come on, Jishwa." He grabbed the boy's hand and led him for a few moments before letting go, repressing a nervous smile. If he could've seen the way the tips of Josh's ears turned red, he wouldn't have made such a hasty retreat. They reached the self checkout, the few employees still working seemingly busy.

Josh watched Tyler scan the hoodie's tag and put an arm in the sleeve.

"Please place the item in the bagging area."

Tyler threw an incredulous look at the machine before sighing and dropping the jacket in a plastic bag to the side.

Josh smirked, "Wow, Ty. You chose the cutest cashier."

Tyler's cheeks were sore from smiling so much in the past half an hour. Words were failing him so he mumbled something resembling "thank you" or maybe "shut up" and paid for his hoodie so he could use it to hide his face again.

"Oh, I'm sorry for checking you out." Josh smiled as if he hadn't just told the worst pun in history. Tyler huffed loudly, smile evident in his voice.

"Get out. Just leave."

"What if I just told you corny pick up lines all the way back to your apartment?"

"Don't try it, Josh." Tyler's fingers peeked through the end of the sleeves of the new addition to his closet. Josh wondered if the boy preferred his sleeves a little too long or if he just couldn't tell which size fit him better. The part of Tyler's hand Josh could see looked warm and would probably fit in his well. The next day, he would blame his courage on his lack of sleep, but now he couldn't pinpoint what possessed him to match their strides and claim the other boy's fingers with his.

Tyler didn't expect Josh's hands to be so soft. They easily surpassed his own in size and their grip on his was strong but not painful. Tyler thought his hands gave a better impression of him than his gauges and bright hair, which made him look tough and willing to fight if the need were to arise. They were a nice thing to cling to.

Josh's hands had held a countless amount of cats, clutched his mom's as they crossed the street together, and been kissed when he scraped them up a while ago by falling off his skateboard. Now they were holding Tyler's hands and he knew he would have to let go soon but he wasn't ready.

The bright shop signs dimmed down to street lights again and they were only a few minutes away from Tyler's building. Josh attempted to memorize the feeling of Tyler's skin against his. Maybe he was overreacting but he had no idea when he would get to hold his hand again. They seemed to be walking slowly to prolong the inevitable; or maybe the lack of sleep was finally taking effect. It was late; they both had somewhere to be in a few hours. Josh blinked and they were in the parking lot again, his car a few meters away.

"We should both just stay home from school," Tyler squeezed his hand, smiling at the ground.

"Ha, who's the bad influence now?" Josh slowed to a stop next to the driver's side door. He leaned back against the cool metal, smiling lazily at their hands linked together, "I guess I have to let you go now..."

For a minute, the statement didn't register with Tyler. 'Let go' just didn't sound like a possible option but the yawn that escaped his mouth when he tried to reply made the decision for him. Sheepishly, he nodded and the warmth left through his fingertips as the contact was sundered.

Begrudged and mumbled farewells followed suit and were trailed by a quick but tight hug. Tyler's body had left his side before Josh could reciprocate the embrace. He watched him shuffle through the lobby entrance and disappear behind reflections of light on the glass doors.

Josh waited in the car; he wasn't sure for what, but he sat feeling the vibrations from the car engine in the steering wheel. A motion in his peripheral vision caused him to look up. Tyler waved from his apartment window, looking incredibly unreal to Josh, despite having held his very real hands minutes before.

He waved back and put the car in drive to keep from seeming like a lingerer. He passed plenty of street lamps on the way home, each of them reminding him of Tyler's wide, uneven smile.

_________________

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry.

I ' m s o r r y.

Thank you for reading, I know this update took way too long and the chapter is short but i'm sorry and ily.