nine

The boy's project went up on the back wall, a space Mr. Way reserved for pieces that set an example for his classes. He said the piece "demonstrated the beauty of contrast" and also mentioned that the two should stick together for other partner projects. Josh ignored the few glares he received from some classmates and instead focused on Tyler's gleaming smile.

Tyler's lips moved, "We make a such a good team."

Josh snapped out of it, "Yeah we do."

A small giggle escaped Tyler's mouth and Josh only gazed at him, taking in every feature. He knew that staring was rude and that it was probably weird for Tyler to catch him gawking every few minutes of every day but Josh couldn't help it. Admittedly, having Tyler in the same room would probably be detrimental to Josh's grade. He could barely focus in Mr. Way's lectures or the tasks being placed in front of him.

Luckily, no work was assigned all week and all Josh missed was how to use different brush strokes. Tyler was tuned in to the lessons and never seemed to mind the two holes being burned in his neck by Josh's eyes.

On Friday, the bell rang and everyone got up to leave, Josh and Tyler moving a little slower than the rest.

"Jishwa?"

Josh grinned, "Yeah, Tyjo?"

"Are you doing anything this weekend?"

After pausing for 0.2 seconds to check his non-existent schedule, Josh answered almost a little too quickly, "Nope. No don't have anything going on. At all."

"Cool. Um do you want to go get lunch with me tomorrow? We could just go to Taco Bell or something."

Josh nodded, "That would be awesome."

"Okay," Tyler flashed another bright smile. "I'll text you later then."

He was gone before Josh registered what had happened. Did he just get asked out? How this happened or why the hell it happened to him of all people was beyond Josh but he didn't care. He made for the door, trying to restrain the grin on his face. Mr. Way gave him a knowing look before wishing him a good weekend.

Outside the school, Josh waited patiently for Brendon to show up so he could talk his ear off about tomorrow's events. Ten minutes passed and he was still waiting, most of the students dispersed by now. He scanned the parking lot but didn't see his friend's car in the space it was this morning. His phone vibrated with a new message.

Breadbin Urie: hey j sorry i didn't tell you earlier but im dropping sarah off today so youll have to walk home

What the actual fuck?

JD: are you serious??

Breadbin Urie: yeah dude im sorry. ill make it up to you. we can do something tomorrow?

JD: well if u were here I'd tell you i already have plans tomorrow. with tyler

Breadbin Urie: j that's awesome!! nice one. gtg we'll talk later. sorry again

Josh sighed. It wasn't that big of a deal but it still kind of hurt to be ditched by your best friend. He pulled his bag up on his shoulder and started the walk home.

The walk was boring, the familiar scenery crawling by slowly. The small shops to his left displayed the same advertisements except for one. Tyler's ad had been swapped for a different picture of him in a different outfit. Josh smiled at the store window and thought he should go in some time.

He made it to his house finally, a little out of breath. Maybe he needed to get back into sports.

Nah.

Momma Dun greeted him from the couch and set her magazine on the coffee table. Josh dropped his bag at the foot of the stairs and went up to her.

"Mom. Mommy. Mother Dearest. Birth Giver. My love."

She groaned, "Oh no what do you want?"

"Canipleaseborrowyourcartomorrow?"

"I'm sorry I don't speak gibberish. Can you translate?"

Josh slid down the floor, "Please mom let me borrow your car tomorrow..."

"Josh I have to work I can't just let you drive the only car."

"Okay but consider this. I have a date." The last word was punctuated by Josh sticking his arms up in the air and giving a suggestive smile.

"Ha! With who?" Ms. Dun crossed her arms.

"I don't appreciate the volume of that laugh, mother. His name is Tyler."

"Have I met him?"

"Well no. But he's amazing. Take my word for it."

"Babe I can't keep borrowing my friends' cars while you borrow mine. Why don't you borrow Brendon's?"

That was a thought. Josh had considered it but then Sarah popped into his head and he dismissed the idea. He wasn't jealous.

"He's busy. Mom you're the only one. I can't just walk. I wanna be classy."

Ms. Dun rolled her eyes and sighed deeply. "You're lucky I love you."

"Thanks mom." He embraced her.

"Now tell me about Tyler."

They talked for a couple hours, the conversation drifting from Tyler to boys in general and then to other things. Josh loved when he could just talk to his mom. She was chill and didn't overreact when he came home guilty. Not to mention when he cried in middle school and told her he "likes girls but also boys", she helped him find a word for that and told him it was okay.

Eventually they said goodnight and Josh took his bag upstairs. He picked up his laptop and ended up in the browsing position where he stayed until way early in the morning. All the while, there was only one thing on his mind and he couldn't focus on anything else.

He wondered how long he would be distracted. He believed he had feelings for Tyler but he doubted himself sometimes. What if he was just infatuated? What if he just liked Tyler's face or how nice he looked in floral print? He would have to find out before he did anything stupid like hurt Tyler.

He would let himself get hurt before he hurt Tyler.

_____________

I can tell already this story is gonna be a lot of fluff.