five

Josh spent the rest of the class taking every chance he got to glance at the boy next to him. Part of him wanted to cry, part of him wanted to giggle like a little girl but all of him just wanted some type of interaction. Would it be weird if he hugged him before saying 'hi' or 'what's your name'? Probably.

He looked over once more and froze when those brown doe eyes were staring back, pinning him in place. His heart was racing again and he was in full fight or flight mode. In this case that meant he could face the boy that's been at the forefront of his thoughts for months or turn away, possibly running out of the classroom.

"Um... Hi." Tyler mumbled out the greeting because, little did Josh know, he was also freaking out. He had seen the red hair from the front of the room, immediately drawn to it out of curiosity. The boy attached to the bright hair interested Tyler even more. He was staring out into space, lightly tapping the desk with his pencil and Tyler was being pulled towards him against his will. Now he was forced to make awkward conversation, Mr. Way having just assigned a partner project. Josh, he assumed was the boy's name after hearing it called out, had been daydreaming again and probably didn't hear the instructions.

"H-Hey." Josh struggled out. "Um. Salutations."

Tyler furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, "What does that mean?"

Josh was groaning on the inside, berating himself for his word choice, "Well I just thought 'hey' sounded kinda rude so, salutations. It means hi."

Tyler went blank for a moment before giving a small chuckle and smile, "Salutations then."

Josh suspressed the urge to whip out his phone and get a picture of the lovely thing he'd caused, instead keeping the image in his mind to freak out about later. He smiled back and then unwillingly turned back to his desk to at least act like he was listening to the lesson. He could feel Tyler's eyes still on him and it flattered him but also made him extremely nervous.

"Josh?"

"Hm?" He turned back around in his seat.

"We can be partners right?"

"..." That was quick. Josh figured he would be the one to ask Tyler out five minutes after meeting him.

"Ya know. For the project?"

Josh spotted the sheet of paper on his desk labeled PARTNER PROJECT in big bold letters. He knew the only reason he missed that was because Tyler was distracting him with his pretty eyes and soft voice.

"Oh yeah of course. Sorry."

Tyler smiled again, teeth glinting and giving Josh heart palpitations.

Josh gripped the edge of his desk and bit his lip, resisting all types of urges. This is going to be a long year.

The two went over the project, apparently they were supposed to paint one big landscape. Both of them would paint half of the picture with their own colors without consulting the other. At the end they would bring the halves together to see if they fit or not.

Josh liked the project but was a little bummed that he wouldn't actually be working with Tyler. That eliminated the chance of him asking the boy over to his house so they could 'work on the project'. Really he just wanted get to know him, his head already filled with curiosity.

The bell rang, signaling the end of class and the first week of school. Josh stood slowly, not wanting to leave Tyler's presence just yet. Before either of them walked away, the thinner boy pulled his phone from his back pocket and held it out to Josh.

"W-Would you, um, can I have... your number. For the project. So we can talk." Josh nodded and grinned at him. He tapped his number in and handed the device back. Tyler grabbed his things and gave Josh one more sheepish smile before leaving the room.

Josh relaxed, his shoulders sore from being so tense for almost an hour. He kept his cool until he got out of the building where he let out a squeak and covered his face with his hands. Tyler fricking Joseph sits next to him in art. He'd just given Tyler fricking Joseph his phone number so they could talk outside of school. Tyler was 50 times prettier in person and Josh was going to have a hard time trying not to compliment him every few minutes.

Josh jumped when someone tapped his shoulder. Of course it was Brendon standing there with a questioning look on his face. Josh wondered whether he should tell his friend that the boy he was obsessed- uh really liked- now goes to their school.

"What's up? Why are you fangirling in the corner over here?"

Josh shrugged and walked in the direction of Brendon's car. "You wouldn't understand."

Brendon squinted at the other boys back. "Whatever nerd."

In the car, the two sung loudly to any song that came on the radio. They stopped at Josh's house but before he could leave, Brendon tapped his arm.

"J. Do you think I could stay over again?" The look in his eyes told Josh there was something more to his request other than he wanted to hang out with his bud.

"Of course, Bren. You know my mom loves you so she won't say no."

Brendon's face softened and he nodded, grabbing his bag and leaving his car. He followed Josh into his home, making a point to stay in the doorway until Momma Dun invited him in. The boys went up to Josh's room, happily tossing their book bags to the side.

Josh layed back on his bed, quietly staring up at the ceiling. Tyler's pretty face popped up in his mind and he melted, flashing a goofy grin. Brendon squinted at him again.

"I'll pay you some big money to tell me what you're smiling about over there."

Josh only grinned harder, pulling his phone out of his pocket when it vibrated. Three new messages lit up his screen from an unknown number. If this was who he thought it was, his face would probably split from smiling so hard.

_______

OoOh I wonder who it is ;)))