devil's Assistant [26]

Chapter 25

I was sat on the chair with a frown plastered firmly on my face. I had been unconscious for no more than five minutes but those five minutes meant that I now had to be babied by every single male within the immediate vicinity which might I add, was a lot. Lucius had been worse than the rest and I knew it was only because he cared for me but in the end I sent him off to find me some food because his coddling was suffocating me.

Glancing down at my hands I gagged. They were still coated in her blood. I shuddered at the memory of her body lying there all limp and bloody. Apparently the magic protecting her chamber had broken but when they arrived at her chambers, everything was gone, the only sign I had been in there at all was the blood droplets on the floor. The only thing I could hope for was that she finally got the peace she so longed for. I don’t think He would mind her sacrifice, it will help her and Him anyways, and her death will prevent the enemy from controlling the arch angels and hence will give earth a fighting chance.

Gabriel sat beside me with some clothes in his arms. They looked like the ones that Evangeline had been wearing and in an instant, tears formed in my eyes. I barely knew her but I felt responsible and saddened at her departure from the world even if it was what she wished for.

“Hey, don’t look so sad, you need to enjoy the peace while it lasts.” He glanced over to the other side of the large ballroom they were in where Lucius was deep in conversation with Ezekiel and Lucius. “You don’t want them to see you like this or they’ll both be coddling you.”

Following his eyes I shuddered at the idea of more coddling it was getting on my nerves. With a wave of his hand, someone appeared before Gabriel with a bowl of water that he set down on the floor beside me. Taking the cloth from the water, he wrung out the excess and then dabbed lightly at my bloodied hand, wiping away the traces of death though I felt like they would forever be stained with blood. I think I understand Lady Macbeth’s madness.

“You know, I’ve known you for five years.” Gabriel murmured, his eyes focused on my hands while I just stared at him in confusion. “When they took your memories I was sworn to secrecy but with everything that is happening-” He cut off and let out a sigh.

My mouth opened and closed a few times as I dipped my head to try and catch his gaze. His eyes flickered to me for a moment before a smile curved his lips.

“Do you know, you were the most beautiful bride I have ever seen?” Lifting my left hand, he kissed where a wedding back would sit, his lips tenderly brushing my skin before he stared deeply into my eyes. My gaze however, was focused on the marking that began appearing on my skin, intricate wording and symbols wrapping around my finger like some weird tribal tattoo. I was so entranced with them that could barely take in a breath as the writing flashed gold and disappeared once more.

“What the-? What do you mean bride? What am I missing Gabe?” I questioned frantically, I’m sure my eyebrows had disappeared into my hairline completely as I stared at him longing for answers but my heart beating wildly in fear at the same time.

“I was there, two years ago when you walked down the aisle. I will never forget the look on your face. You were glowing, a smile so big that it left you with a sore jaw for the rest of the night.” Gabriel shook his head back and forth. “Zeke walked you down the aisle, he was you best friend. He was even closer to you than Marianna, if you can believe that? We weren’t meant to fall in love. When we were sent here, we were told that we had to protect you and that was it. Zeke was like a brother to you but us we had something, something that was forbidden.” I felt my heart race as I shifted uncomfortably on the seat.