Chapter 3

Instead of going to the cafeteria for lunch, I went straight to the office. The last thing I wanted to do was be late to detention and get into even more trouble than I already was. Who else gets detention on their first day of school? How crowded would it be?

Ms. Patterson was scribbling down notes from a phone call as I waited patiently in front of her desk. Sports sign-up forms and tardy slips cluttered her desk, along with a calendar full of scheduled time slots. She nodded while tossing me a quick smile.

"I'll be with you in a minute," she mouthed and I smiled in return. All the office people knew me well, but it wasn't for detention purposes. The only time I normally get called to the office is for awards, never any disciplinary issues.

I decided to take a seat next to the windows when Sean blew through the doors of the office. He didn't even bat an eye as he walked right past Ms. Patterson and down the hall behind the desk area. I remembered what he said earlier — at least what I thought he said earlier — "guess I'll see you in detention, then." If I did hear him right, then he must be on his way to detention as well.

While Ms. Patterson continued to chat with an agitated parent, I wondered behind the desk to follow Sean. Ms. Patterson gave me a sideways glance, but she couldn't tear her focus away for very long.

I never knew the office went back so far. The hallway continued for quite sometime before Sean turned left. I stayed far enough away that he wouldn't notice me following him, but close enough to not lose him.

I came to the room that Sean turned into and stopped in my tracks. The room was empty. The lights were all off, the chairs were stacked, and most importantly, there was no sign of Sean anywhere. My eyes glanced up and down the hallway again, making sure I didn't miscalculate what room he may have gone in, but I was right. This was the room.

Curiosity got the better of me as I squeezed the handle and pushed the door slowly. It creaked open, to my dismay, and I cringed at every little noise it made. I felt like I was going to get into more trouble from snooping than what I was already in with my phone. Detention again tomorrow, maybe? What was overcoming me?

The room was an average classroom; whiteboard at the front, projector next to a computerless desk. It was obvious that this room wasn't of any use at the moment.

"You're following me," Sean's voice erupted through the silent room, causing me to jump.

"What is wrong with you!" I screamed, grasping at my heart, and breathing heavily. "Where did you even come from anyway?"

"Why are you following me?" he asked again, ignoring my every response. His honey eyes from earlier were a darker, chestnut brown now. They were more...intense. Intimidating.

"I—" I said, my words caught in my mouth. What was I going to say? I was following him, but not for any particular reason other than to find out where detention was. Why was it that I felt like I had walked in on something I wasn't supposed to?

He waited, studying my eyes as they searched desperately for an answer to give him. He stayed cool and collected, but the directness of his tone made me anxious.

"I—I was trying to find the detention room," I breathed. Was I holding my breath?

Sean looked me up and down skeptically but then allowed his shoulders to relax. The smallest smirk spread across his features, making his eyes softer once again.

"You've never been in detention before, have you?" he asked. My fingers fidgeted as I shook my head.

"Figures," he chuckled. "Well, this isn't the place, but I'm heading there too. You can come with me."