Chapter 13

We got to the beach early just to make sure registration went smoothly and they had all my information right, but it was already crowded with people. The media was already there too, setting up several broadcasting stations along the beach. This was big. Much bigger than the competitions I'm used to.

"You may get talked to by the press," my dad mumbled into my ear as I signed my registration forms. "Just remember—"

"Less is more," I said, tossing him a wink. My dad half-smiled, but then continued scanning the crowds of people. He hated big crowds just as much as I did.

"Here's your rash guard, sweetie. You're number seven. Make sure you and your family stay in your designated viewing section until it's time for the competition. Be listening for the announcements," the lady with too big of lips and too much eyeshadow explained.

"Thank you," I said and took my goodie bag of items with me as we returned to the car to grab the rest of our stuff.

My parents brought enough lawn chairs for the entire island of Oahu. It took us several trips just to get all the coolers and accessories over to where my viewing section was. Amy and I, of course, got stuck doing most of the heavy lifting.

"Now, when Loa and Papi get here, make sure she sits here. Papi obviously will get that seat. Oh, no! I forgot the binoculars for Fran! She won't be able to see a thing without them," my mother continued to stress about every aspect of the seating arrangements as Amy and I snuck off to the concession stand to grab a hot dog. Per my father's request, I wasn't supposed to be eating junk before the competition, but these hot dogs were just too good. Plus, it was a tradition for Amy and I.

"God, I can't get enough of these. How do you think they make them?" Amy groaned as she stuffed her hot dog into her mouth.

"Why don't you ask?" I laughed while taking a bite of mine.

"I should because these are not normal hot dogs. How do they get them so big, too! Seriously, they're to die for. I can die happy now," she mused.

We giggled and bantered about irrelevant hot dog drama until Amy went quiet. Something behind me caught her attention. Before she could say anything, I spun around and was face-to-face with Sean.

I almost dropped my hot dog out of my mouth. That would have been embarrassing.

"Hey," Sean said casually, sticking his hands deep into his pockets and taking a deep breath.

I swallowed the bite of hot dog I just took, although I'm not sure I chewed enough to get it down quick enough. I felt it lump in my throat. Or maybe that was just my speech.

"Hey" I piped.

"I'm going to...leave," Amy said, grabbing her drink and darting away several large strides. I wished she hadn't left. I didn't know if I would be able to handle this on my own.

Sean and I stood there for a moment, just staring at one another. I was not going to be the one to make the first move. I was not prepared for this. What do I even say? Do I have anything to say?

"Nice rash guard," Sean said, pointing to the new addition to my collection of rash guards.

My face fell. Nice rash guard?

"Thanks..." I didn't know where to look. My eyes darted every which way around Sean's face, but I refused to look in his eyes. Those warm, honey eyes get me every time and I wanted to be strong. I needed to remember how rude he was to me in the parking lot. I needed to remember when he told me to get out of his truck. I needed to remember how he left me alone outside of my house. I needed to remember.