Chapter 9

It was unfortunate that I couldn't tell Amy about my date tonight, considering she would normally be the one to get me ready. She would do my outfit and makeup and tell me all the things I should and shouldn't do.

At least, that's how I always imagined my first date going. I never thought in a million years that I would be going on a date where I had to hide it from Amy. She knew everything about me in any other circumstance other than this one. A part of me wanted to come clean and tell her, but there's a larger part that knows the reaction she would have. She did have first dibs on Sean, but technically, little to her knowledge, Sean chose me over her. Does that make this situation right or wrong? My brain pulled one way, but my heart pulled the other. Wasn't it more of Sean's issue than mine? After all, he's the one who brought on this whole predicament.

I stared in the mirror at my naked face and shook my head, trying to let all my thoughts about Amy and my parents loose for the night and just have fun. It wasn't fair to anyone to come into this date with prior expectations or fears. This was a test. That was all. One night to have fun and then we can return to reality tomorrow, right?

Sean and I have been texting nonstop since he visited me at the beach. This was a change from the last time we spoke. I expected him to treat me similarly; not hearing from him until the day of our date, however, he after his argument that he could change, and after my snide remark about how he ignored me for a week, he seems to be making more of an effort to keep in touch, even if it was only through texting.

I was glad that he left me alone at school. I suppose that came from my stipulation about our date: no one can find out that we're doing this. If we started hanging out at school, that would be bad news. I remember the day that Sean and I were seen multiple times talking in the hallway together after detention and how everyone was looking at me. Sean's every move is watched and this needed to be private. Especially until I find a way to tell Amy.

Then there's the possibility that this date could go completely sour. Maybe he is exactly what everyone says he is? This date could prove him to be nothing more than a player from a rich, conceded family who screwed over my family many years ago. This could be my first and only date with Sean Parker just as much as it could go alright.

I sighed and grabbed the foundation, smoothing it all over my face to make an even coat. I wasn't good at doing makeup. I hardly knew what anything other than foundation and mascara was, but I figured I could do that at minimum for today. After all, isn't that what you're supposed to do for dates? Look nice?

My make up was simple, but with the pop of mascara, my eyelashes looked luscious enough to add more dimension to my features. Just the smallest of changes to my face made a world of difference. Probably because I hardly ever did it.

The clothes part was a bit more tricky. My sense of style was flat, but I had to try to figure it out. After all, Amy wasn't going to be by my side forever. I would eventually have to learn to gain some substance of style.

I thought about Amy and what she would suggest to wear and then frowned. The first thing she would ask is where the date was going to be at and unfortunately, Sean refused to share that information with me. All he kept repeating was that it was a surprise and I'm going to enjoy it.

That wasn't very comforting or informational. How would he know I'd enjoy it? I felt that presumption was a little hard to make considering I don't like a lot of things that most girls would find as good date ideas. The thought of rollerskating or going to the movies made me want to hide in the rock cave on the beach forever.

I smiled as the rock cave came across my thoughts. Sean did have a good sense of romanticism there and a sense of what I would enjoy. Or was that just luck?