Nine || Premonitions

"Luke?"

He is forced into stillness at his father's voice he regretted being afraid of.

Chills run up his spine and he closes his eyes for a brief moment; He is not evil yet. He is your father, he is here behind you and he is worried about you.

"Y-Yes, Anakin?"

"You're out here. Was it a nightmare?" His father's footsteps are bare against the veranda as he comes up behind Luke.

"I - Jedi don't have nightmares." I'm not even near the Jedi my father is - was. I shouldn't be afraid of him...

"You were a smuggler, too." He's right.

Luke drops his shoulders in a sigh as his father moves and sits beside him and is watching him; Anakin sees so much of himself in Luke but it isn't something he can say, it isn't something he can point out because he knows Luke senses it too.

"It wasn't anything bad. Just a... premonition." Anakin would know. He got them too... and then they came true, perhaps because he tried too hard?

Anakin sees more of himself. "A - a premonition?" he leans in a bit and hushes his voice. "About what?"

Luke shakes his head and looks down. "Nothing."

But there is really something. There was no way, and there would never be a way, Luke could tell his father about what he saw. He was seeing... what could happen... if he failed.

He was seeing what did happen. What was bound to happen unless he did something.

"It was something," says Anakin and there is something in his voice that Luke finds settling; he realizes that this voice he is hearing is not the voice of someone evil, someone who could never be replaced in their right mind as to commit killing their own wife.

He was pleasant; he was good, he was effervescent, he was - still Anakin.

"It was," admits Luke but only because he has no fault in lying again, "but I can't tell you everything about it. It... was too haunting. Scarring, even." This is the truth.

I shouldn't have told him that I specifically can't tell him. Now he's really going to want to know...

"You can tell me," assures Anakin in a tone that is father-like; it is as though he has grown so accustomed to Luke in just a short time, but has no meaning to. Regardless of the fact that Luke was older.

Luke shakes his head again and knows for a fact his father is in no place to be told any part of his future. His future holds everything dark and everything that he now would hate; but Luke realizes this might be the only way to stop him.

I can tell him some things, but I must be vague. It will spark his interest in doing better for himself if I say the future is about him...

"I... saw things. About... your future."

Anakin pulls his eyebrows together. "M-My future?"

Luke nods. He looks to his father and blinks once, his eyes projecting the same color as his. "Yes."

Now intrigued, Anakin glances down and lets a small breath out. When he looks back up, there is uncertainty in his eyes and it messes with Luke; it messes with him because his mind wants him to be afraid. Everything surrounding him, other than the Force ghosts, want Luke to be terrified of his own father like he was for so long.

"What did you see?"

Anakin's voice is no longer fatherly, but rather disgruntled and seemingly troubled by what Luke is saying, as though not a moment's hesitation was keeping him from asking about whatever Luke saw, no matter how awful it may be.