Zoey (Chapter 39)

This felt like one of those lame action movies.

It was like the bad guys weren't even trying.  I was just shooting away at anyone who came at me and I swear I didn't hear a single shot returned.  Not that I was upset by that; if they were shooting back, we would be dead for sure. 

My recurring thought was maybe they were under orders not to kill us.  After all, they still didn't have the information they wanted, so maybe they were trying to preserve it.  Which, I was perfectly fine with that, especially when one of my guns ran out of amo.

When I had cleared out the hall and opened the door to the place I had come in the first place, I realized it was not at all where we wanted to be. There were guards packed like sardines in there; they must have figures out that's where I had come in at and it was probably where we were going to try and get out.

"Okay, new plan," I said looking down the corresponding hallway.  There was another door over there.  "Come on," I motioned to Carson. "Let's try it."

We were about to take off in that direction when I was knocked off my feet.  I wasn't sure what the hell happened, but when what I thought was smoke cleared, I saw a tank sticking out of the wall right in front of us.

"What the hell...?!" I started to get up off my feet and saw Daniel stick his head up through the top.

"COME ON!" he yelled at us.  I looked back at Carson and John, who had also fallen. Carson was groaning. Daniel seemed to notice the situation and he jumped out. I grabbed the gun I had been using and prepared to use it again. There was no way that sound was going to go unnoticed.

Daniel grabbed the unconscious John and slung him over his shoulder.  Carson got himself up, but struggled to walk.  Daniel gave him as much assistance as he could. What was I doing? Well...

I was about to go help them get to the tank, when I heard a shot behind me.  I turned and saw Alicia walking towards us and she looked pissed. She fired another shot.  I went to fire one back only to discover I was out of bullets in my last gun.

Of course.

Daniel was making his way back to the tank with the other two by that time, so I was on my own.  I couldn't think of a damn thing to do; she had a gun, I didn't.  But...

I held my gun up.  "I'll shoot if you don't stop," I threatened even though it was completely empty.  Hey, she did t know I was out and I had a better chance if I kept it that way.

 "Oh, I'm so worried," she mocked as she continued to come closer.  I just had to buy them time.

"You should be.  I'm completely unstable."  I was desperate okay, I was willing to say anything.

"Of what? A

"You know, I'll admit, I completely underestimated you," Alicia said, slowly advancing. "You've been nothing but a pain in my ass since the moment you came about. I thought you would make a good balancing chip, but clearly, that wasn't worth all this trouble."

"I could've told you I wasn't worth the trouble, but, you know, you never bothered to ask." I wasn't sure how i was going to get out of this.

She smirked. " I wont even feel bad for doing this," She stopped walking and steadied her gun. This was it. I closed my eyes. It seemed like an eternity before I heard the gun fire.

But I was still standing.

I slowly opened one of my eyes, and saw Daniel on top of Alicia.  Soot was falling from the ceiling, so I assumed that's where the bullet had gone. I heard the gun land a few feet away.

"Run!" Daniel yelled.  He was still fighting Alicia, and, although under normal circumstances he would have easily won, I didn't have much faith in him at the moment. He was tired and worn out, while she was still going strong.  I stood there, paralyzed, not sure what to do.  Daniel threw a few punches, and I stared as Alicia threw some back. Daniel threw her to the ground, and started running toward the tank.

Fucking shit, what was I doing?!

I ran after him, and got within 50 feet of the tank before I felt this...this impact. I stopped dead in my tracks and clutched my lower stomach. Something didn't feel right. 

I slowly looked down at my hands, and saw a red coating over them. I blinked rapidly. Was that really there? I looked toward the tank again and saw Daniel turn around in what seemed like slow motion.  He had a look of pure terror on his face. 

I felt myself slowly sink to the floor. I my legs couldn't support me anymore. I couldn't process what was happening. I just felt my head hit the cold concrete, but it wasn't hard. It was almost like I was lowering myself, but I didn't want to. The next thing I saw was Daniel leaning over me. He was talking, but I couldn't hear anymore. I couldn't *feel* anymore.

The next thing I knew, I was being lifted up by him and we were running. I saw Chris leaning out of the tank, and Daniel passed me up to him. But I couldn't take whatever I was feeling. My head wasn't functioning, I couldn't think. I decided the best thing was to close my eyes and wait for whatever came next.

***********************

Hey! I haven't updated in, like, a year! But I'm back now so hi! Hopefully I don't take so long to update again. Sorry about that :/ Hope this chapter was worth the wait

~Emily~