John (Chapter 23)

There were about three men circling our car, all carrying guns and they all seemed to be looking for something I wasn't sure what they could be looking for besides us, but either way it wasn't good.

"So do you think they know what we look like?" Chris asked.

"Unfortunately yes." Daniel answered.

"What should we do?" Zoey asked as she carefully peaked out the window.

"Daniel and I will go out there and try to distract them." Carson said as he wrapped his taigah around his head. "You guys run to your car when I give the signal."

"When will we meet with you again?" Chris asked. "Dad will want to see you and ask questions."

"We're going to have to find a more private place because obviously this didn't work." Daniel stated.

"Do you want our hotel address?" John asked.

"No! The less we know about where you guys are the better just in case they," Carson motioned to the men searching, "find out that we're C.I.A. You guys still have your cell phones so we'll call you when we can. Now get ready to go when we get them to look the other way and be careful!"

"You guys too!"

Carson and Daniel walked out and got the men's attention. One man threw a hand up in the air as if to say "what's your problem?" I motioned to Chris and Zoey to follow me toward the door.

Carson started pointing at another car across the parking lot and walked over to it. The men looked amongst each other and at first didn't follow Carson.

"Take the bait," I whispered to no one in particular.

The men seemed to agree that the other car Carson had been pointing at looked better than ours and walked over to it.

Yes!

Daniel, who had stayed far enough behind to where we could see him clearly, gave us the signal to make a break for it. We ran to the car and climbed in. The men didn't seem to care about our car anymore, so I started the engine. They still didn't care which surprised me. I hope they didn't plant a bomb, I thought to myself.

"Where are we going now?" Zoey asked as we drove away.

"To the hotel. We have to tell Dad that your father and brother are safe. I really don't know what we are going to do now." I answered.

"What do you mean?"

"The whole reason we came out here doesn't matter anymore. They're safe. Dad might send us back now."

"We just got here!" Chris complained.

"Besides, I want to stay here and help."

"Help with what? We don't even know why Carson and Daniel came out here and like I already said, they were our whole reason for coming out here."

"I think I might know why they're here," Zoey explained. "They said something about another attack on America and all the clues led straight here."

"What exactly did they say?" I asked surprised by the news. Since we had found that Carson and Daniel were fine, I didn't see any threat any more.

"They didn't say much just that they were trying to prevent an attack."

I paused to think for a minute. If Carson and Daniel thought there was a threat, they were obligated to say something to headquarters. The fact that they didn't made me suspicious. What were they up to?

"Maybe they meant it in a general way. You know like they're trying to ensure that there are no future attacks; that doesn't mean there is going to be one," Chris suggested.