Chris (Chapter 8)

I sat in the back of the rental car, silently staring out the window. I had never been to Fresno before, and under normal circumstances, I might had actually try to read the graffiti that seemed to cover just about everything.

Despite Dad's wishes, John had told me about the possibility of an Al Qaeda attack. The thought made me uneasy. Would we be ready for that attack if it came? The most John and I had ever dealt with was a few serial killers. Yes they were bad and hard to catch, but there was never more than two at a time and that was rare. Of course we would be ready. We had to be. Oh, who was I kidding? John and I were only junior agents! How in the name of Bush were we supposed to face trained, organized terrorists?

Stop it, I thought to myself firmly. I had to stop those thoughts. Every time I doubt myself, I always do something wrong, and we cannot afford to fail. Not now not ever. I need to stay confident. Man, but how am I...

"Earth to Christopher Troop! Do you copy?"

I snapped back to reality when I heard my brother's voice. I hadn't even noticed that we were in a nicer part of town now.

"Sorry, what were you guys saying?"

Dad pulled in front of a house. "I think this is the place." He looked at both John and I in turn. "So, who's ready to meet these people?"

. . .

I walked up to the door, with Dad and John following behind. I had lost the round of rock-paper-scissors we had played to decide who was going to have to explain the situation to Zoey and the Smith's.

If this is how my luck is going to go this trip, I thought to myself, I better go back to D.C.

I knocked on the front door, and then looked back at John. He looked as nervous as I felt. We weren't used to these kinds of missions.

Well, at least I wouldn't be the only one who looked like an amateur.

A woman, who I estimated to be in her early forties, answered the door.

I cleared my throat. "Are you Monica Smith?"

The woman looked suspicious. "Yes, can I help you?"

I took out my badge and showed it to her. "We're here to talk to your, uh, daughter, Zoey."

Without warning, the woman slammed the door shut in my face.

Despite the seriousness of the mission, I heard John try to muffle a laugh. I glared at him. "Not a word, John." I looked at Dad. "I believe it's your turn."

Dad stepped up to the door. "I know what I'm going to train you guys on personally when we get back to D.C.: how to introduce yourselves to the family of a possible victim."

"Mrs. Smith?" He spoke up, "We just want to talk with you, your husband, and Zoey. It's very important."

The door slowly opened, this time by a man, who I assumed was Anthony Smith.

"I'm Zoey's father, Anthony. Why do you want to speak with my daughter?"

John stepped forward this time. "Sir, we believe Zoey might be in trouble."

......................................................................

Wow I'm really sorry for all these short chapters! :( When I typed it on Word the chapters were a lot longer. :( Comment if you want me to add more vote if you like <3

~Emily~