Chris (Chapter 17)

“John,” I said poking at his arm to get his attention.  “John, I think I just saw Zoey!”

“What?  You’re crazy!  She’s at the base, safe and sound.  She couldn’t get out of there if she tried.”

“No!  I know I saw her!”  I looked around but I saw no sign of her.  “She must have gone farther in the back of the plane.”  I muttered.

John looked around too.  “I don’t see her anywhere.  I think you just thought you saw her.”

Dad came back to his seat after going to get water before we took off.  “What are you guys talking about?”

“Chris thinks that he saw Zoey walk on the plane.”

Dad looked at me like some kind of five year old idiot.  “Chris, she couldn’t possibly be here.  She doesn’t have the clearance to leave the building and we would be notified if she did.”

“Ladies and gentlemen,” the announcer broke in.  “Please prepare for takeoff and…” She continued to say all the standard things that announcers say before the plane takes off like if we crash do blah blah blah.  I continued talking to Dad.

“I know that I saw her!  It had to have been her!”

“Chris, I think you’ve been sleep deprived.  Try to take a nap and think about it later.”

I sat there thinking.  I had seen her; I had no doubt about it.  I just didn’t know where she went…

The plane took off and about five minutes later we were allowed to unbuckle our seat belts.

“I’m going to the back,”  I said as I got up from my seat.

“Why?”  Dad and John both asked in unison.  They sounded suspicious and worried.  My own family didn’t trust me to go to the back of the plane to find a girl who may or may not have been real!

“Because I want to.”

“Oh brother…”  John said closing his eyes.  I could tell he knew exactly why I was getting up and he was fed up with it.

“Don’t do anything stupid,”  Dad warned me before he too closed his eyes for a nap.  I have such a lazy family.

I walked towards the back; my eyes wide open to catch every detail that could prove to me Zoey had been there.  I reached the person who I thought was Zoey and noticed she still had her hood over her face.  That was naturally alarming because usually only shady people keep their face covered for that long.  I decided to stop and chat.

“Hey,” I said.

The girl nodded to acknowledge me, but she didn’t make any movement to remove the hood.

“Long flight, huh?”

Again, she nodded without looking up.  I stood there for about one minute, and then realized it was pointless; she was not going to remove that hood.  And besides, the more I looked at her, the less she looked like Zoey.  From what I knew about Zoey, she wouldn’t have been able to not say something to me by now; she would have blown her cover.  She seemed like the type of person who loved to talk no matter what it would cost her and this girl sitting in front of me was definitely not like that.

“Have a nice flight.”  I turned and walked away feeling like a total idiot.  I sat back down in my seat as carefully as possible that way I wouldn’t wake Dad and John up so I wouldn’t have to explain what had happened.

“Any luck finding ‘Zoey’?”  Dad wasn’t asleep after all.  Damn it.

“Well, no…but I did find a very suspicious girl who could very well be Zoey if I could get her to take off her hood.”

“That’s great.”

“I really thought I saw her.”

“Our minds can play tricks on us.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

I followed my brother’s lead and closed my eyes for a nap.

                      …

“Chris!  Wake up!  We’re here!”

I opened my eyes and saw John leaning over me.  At first I forgot where I was then I remembered; on a plane to kick some terrorists asses.

What a wonderful thought to wake up to.

I reached up and grabbed my small luggage bag then followed Dad and John down the aisle.  We went through baggage check in record time, but before we were able to leave the airport, I saw that strange girl who I thought had been Zoey again.  This time I was able to point her out to John and Dad.

“Dude, how could you even think that’s Zoey?  You can’t even see her face with that hood on!”  John said.

“But that’s my point, it’s like she doesn’t want to be seen.  The only people I know who are like that are criminals, or people who are trying to avoid certain people.  Zoey would be avoiding us right?”

“Well yes, but that person probably isn’t trying to avoid us.  And I would like to point out again; she would have had to break out of the C.I.A. to get here.  What’s your opinion Dad?”

John and I had turned away from the girl, while Dad apparently had been watching.  His mouth was now open in shock, something that is extremely hard to do with him, since he had seen just about everything shocking there was to see.  “What’s wrong Dad?”

I followed his gaze and my mouth dropped too.  The girl had taken off her hood and was looking around anxiously, like she had lost her guide.  Or in this case guides.

I was right!  The girl on the plane had been Zoey!

................................

Poor Chris,nobody ever believes him.

Picture of Lucas Till as Chris. I know my cast says otherwise,but I'm changing it.

Comment,vote,and share please! :)

~Emily~