Chapter One

He was flying. It was his favorite thing to do. Well, except kiss Sam. But that's an entirely different kind of exhilaration.

Flying is like....freedom. You can detach yourself from worldly problems. That is, unless you are Danny Phantom.

He groans as a familiar voice shouts, "I am the Box Ghost! Oh, hi, Phantom!"

Danny rolls his eyes and takes out his thermos. Typical Box Ghost.

As he is fighting the overall-clad box enthusiast, an ominous feeling overtakes him. At the same time, Boxy speaks in a low voice, "It's him." Then he disappears.

Danny's vision goes dark for a few moments. When it finally returns, he gasps. Below him, the town is burning with green-blue flames. Ghosts run freely through the streets. It is the chaos that he has fought so long to avoid. And, in the middle of it all, a ghost watches with glee. This ghost is large enough that he uses Danny's burning house as a seat. His ghostly aura radiates power. Danny immediately knows that it is impossible to defeat him.

He tries to move to defend his town, his Amity Park, but his body betrays him. He is forced to watch everyone die. His parents go down with guns blazing, actually managing to hit a ghost other than him for once in their lives. Valerie is shot by Skulker and falls from the sky. Danny can hear the sickening crack as she lands.

Tucker, Sam, and Jazz stand back to back, using all of their combined power to fight the ghosts. They actually seem to be winning, until the larger ghost takes notice. With one sweep of his hand, his friends are gone.

He screams and tries to go to them, but something is still holding him back. The lead ghost looks up at him and smiles.

"Soon, Phantom. I am coming for your world. Soon, I will kill you and take my rightful place as Ghost King." He says. Then his hand descends, and Danny's world goes dark again.

---------------------/ /---------------------

Danny sits up with a scream. A smaller figure instantly appears by his side.

"Danny, are you okay?" She asks, one hand over his heart, and the other cupping his cheek.

"I'm....fine, Sam." Danny replies, still trying to catch his breath. "It was just a dream."

"More like a nightmare." His girlfriend responds, sitting back on her heels.

"Sammykins?!??" A woman's voice calls from down the hall. "Are you alright, dear? That boy had better not be with you."

Sam looks back at Danny just in time to see him disappear from sight. She quickly gets up on her bed, reaching her hands up to mess with her now long black hair.

"Sammykins?" Her mother calls, opening the door.

"Mom!" Sam complains loudly. "I said not to come in my room!"

"Yes, I know dear." Mrs. Manson replies with a sigh. "What was that scream a moment ago?"

"It's my new alarm." Sam remarks offhandedly. Her status as a goth not only manages to annoy her mother, but also explain her way out of sticky situations.

"Of course." Mrs. Manson mutters darkly. "Don't forget you have school today!"

"Got it. Thanks." Sam says, walking over to the door and shutting it. She sighs and leans her forehead against the door. "I swear, that woman will annoy me till the day I die."