Chapter Ten

"So dude. How did portal training go?" Tucker asks as Danny enters the Tower. His best friend flops face-down onto a nearby couch with a sigh.

"Great, Tuck." He says into a pillow. "I'm done."

"That's good....wait, what?!?!" Tucker sets down his PDA. No distractions. "Sorry, did you just say you were done?"

Danny gives an affirmative groan.

"You were still struggling this morning. And you mean to tell me that Clockwork- meticulous, kind of overprotective Clockwork- has given you the a-ok?"

Another affirmative groan drifts over from the couch.

"Duuuude." Tucker drawls. "That's awesome!"

Sam, walking down the stairs, peers over the bannister. "Look who's finally tired." She says affectionately as she reaches the couch.

Danny rolls onto his side to face her. "Hi, Sammy. I'll recover in a minute..." His blue eyes suddenly turn acidic, and then he smiles. "All better." He says as his eyes return to their normal human coloring.

"You should start recovering your energy the normal way, Danny." Sam chides. "Especially when we get home."

"Which will be sooner than we thought." Danny says, sitting up. "Clockwork says there is only one more thing to show me."

"Really?" Both friends ask at once.

Clockwork himself enters the room with a small grin. "Would you like to leave now?"

-------------------/ /--------------------

Clockwork watches wordlessly as the three teenagers pack up the Specter Speeder. Danny, in Fenton form, easily carries three bags over to the vehicle. Tucker meticulously packs all of his tech into a padded box. When he is done, Sam picks it up and jostles it. When Tucker becomes enraged, she laughs and gently sets the box into the Speeder.

Danny surveys the contents of the Speeder, trying to remember everything that they brought. His eyes widen, and he hits his forehead impatiently. Reaching to his left, he opens a portal and sticks his hand inside. After searching for a few seconds, he pulls out his blue backpack.

Tucker and Sam stare at him, eyes wide.

"I don't think I will ever get used to that." His best friend states.

"Your powers are strengthening at a really fast rate." Sam says, her face concerned. "You just learned how to control that ability, and you can already use it in human form..."

Danny envelops her small frame into a hug. "I know, Sam. It's scary. But it's also amazing. Think of all the people I can save this way."

"I know." Sam says, her voice resigned but full of concern.

"If you are finished packing the Speeder, would you follow me?" Clockwork requests.

When the teens start getting into the Speeder, Clockwork stops them. "Actually, Danny, you will be leading us."

Danny pauses in the doorway and turns to face his mentor. "Where are we going?"

"Follow the path that feels right. It should come naturally." Clockwork answers evasively.

"Why so cryptic all of a sudden?"

"Because even I don't know where you will lead us. I just know that you will, and it won't take you long to find it. Once you lead me there, I will know the location."

Oddly used to Clockwork's cryptic nature, Danny simply nods and exits the building. Once he is in the Zone, he transforms into Phantom. Immediately his senses are overloaded as he processes the information now available to him as King.

Behind him, he dimly hears Sam ask what is wrong, but her voice is drowned out by the screams of the dead.

He is suddenly VERY aware of where all of the ghosts are, whether they are in their lair or not, and what they are saying and doing. It nearly becomes overwhelming until a hand touches his shoulder.

Everything is suddenly silent, and Danny turns gratefully to his mentor.

"It wasn't as overwhelming the last time I was in the Zone..." Danny says with confusion.

"The more you grow into your title, the more control you will have. If your subjects lose faith in you, your power will dwindle accordingly. Apparently they trust you right now, or they are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. That gives you a lot of power, Danny." Clockwork explains. "Since ghostly lairs exist outside of the Zone, you won't feel what is happening in the Zone unless you concentrate. If I or one of the Observants touches you, then you will temporarily lose your connection."

"Because you aren't under my control?"

"Partly. You don't need to worry about that now, though." Clockwork smiles. "I'm going to let go. You need to filter everything on your own. Control the Ghost Zone. It is your domain, King Phantom."

And then he lets go.