Chapter Nine

"....Portals?!?!"

"Yes. Danny will be able to create portals. But this power will be his hardest to handle." Clockwork responds innocently.

Silence reigns for a moment. But the Trio, used to strange occurrences, adapts quickly.

"Hey, CW?" Tucker asks. "Why are you telling us this?"

"The Observants are allowing me to use my knowledge of the future to teach Danny. I can tell him of all of the powers he will have, so that he can learn all of them in time to defeat Abaddon."

"That's...actually really smart of them." Sam remarks.

"What else will be be able to do?" Tucker asks, opening his secure files on Phantom. He adds 'portals' to the list of powers.

"One at a time. We cannot get ahead of ourselves." Clockwork says, smiling nonetheless. "Once Danny has this power within sufficient control, we will move on to the next. Then you will have to go home. We will talk about your next visit later."

"Fair enough." Danny says, already adjusting to the new information. He reaches for the bowls of food. After handing two of them to Sam and Tuck, he grabs his own and starts eating. Silence reigns as the teenagers devour the food. Tucker, for once, doesn't complain about the lack of meat.

"Alright." Danny says when he is done. "We had better get started, then."

-------------------/ /-------------------

"Concentrate in the center of your hand." Clockwork repeats patiently.

Danny groans as he fails another attempt. He is starting to get sick of staring at his glove-encased hand.

"It's similar to your ectoblasts." Clockwork adds, as if reaching for a better explanation.

An ectoblast forms in Danny's palm. He lets it hit a wall in a sudden escape of emotion.

"Hmm...that's a bit too much like your ectoblasts..."

"Clockwork, it's been a day and a half, and I can't even form one at all! Sam still refuses to touch me until I get her a sweater, too." Danny interrupts angrily. "Are you sure I'll need this in the fight?"

"As certain as I am that you will want it." Clockwork replies. After a pause, he continues. "And that you will get it soon."

That makes Danny pause. With a surge of inspiration, he tries again. A small green circle forms in his palm. As he concentrates, the circle grows larger, and the inside fills with a swirling white material. Danny gives a cry of victory. The sudden noise causes him to drop his concentration.

"Very good, Danny." Clockwork congratulates with a smile. "Now I do believe Samantha is coming out with your lunch."

"Don't let her catch you calling her that." Danny says lightly as he turns towards the tower. A grin splits his face as he sees his girlfriend exit with a plate of food.

"I'm kind of getting sick of cooking food, now." Sam mutters darkly. "I feel like I'm falling into a gender stereotype."

"Well, Tuck wouldn't make anything Ultra-Recyclo-Vegetarian-friendly." Danny says absentmindedly as he reaches out to pull Sam closer.

With a smirk, Sam backs up. "And what is your excuse?"

"You know I would just burn the food. And if it miraculously didn't catch on fire, it would somehow be inedible. I think it runs in the family." Danny pouts as Sam dodges his hand again.

"Sammy." He complains childishly.

"No touching until you get me a sweater." She replies.

Determined, Danny starts concentrating on his palm again.

"Eat first, though." Sam's words do not reach the concentrating halfa. She sighs and sticks out her hip, watching his attempt at a portal.

Much to her surprise, a tiny portal forms in his right hand. It expands as he outstretches his arm. Finally his hand fits through it, and he reaches into the swirling depths. Sam gasps as his arm disappears into the portal. A few moments later, his hand reemerges, holding a black sweatshirt.

A grin breaks the concentration on Danny's face as he realizes his accomplishment. Transforming back into Fenton, he walks towards the stunned Sam and tugs the sweatshirt down over her head. His arms wrap around her waist as he pulls her into a kiss.

The cold wakes Sam up. She responds to his kiss, stopping only when she needs air.

"Is this the sweater from your room?" Sam asks, impressed.

"Yes." Danny replies as she pulls her arms into the sleeves. "I guess I do better if I imagine where I want the portal to lead. I know my room well, so it is easier to imagine."

"I'm proud of you, Ghost Boy." Sam says with a smile. She picks up the discarded food. "But I need to keep you healthy. Eat."

"Yes, Ma'am." Danny digs into the food with newfound energy. Sam watches her childish boyfriend with a smile. He finishes in under a minute. "Thank you, Sam." He plants a kiss on the top of her head, and runs back to finish his training with Clockwork.

As the white rings travel up Danny's body, Sam's smile disappears.

--------------------/ /---------------------

A//N: I know that Clockwork changes between his forms a lot, but I'm not really mentioning it. His dialogue isn't really long enough to need the description, and I don't feel like interrupting another character to mention an age crisis.

Also, side note: I KEEP MISSPELLING NAMESSSSSSS

Tucker=TICKER
Danny=SANNY
Sam=SAN
Clockwork=CLOXKEIRK
WHYYYYYYYY
I guess that's what I get for typing on my phone though.
No regrets. Danny and Sam are basically the same now. It's meant to be.