Chapter Five

A//N: This chapter is shorter than most. Sorry guys. ;)

-------------------/ /----------------------

"There aren't a lot of ghosts around." Sam remarks a few minutes into the Ghost Zone. "I wonder why....?"

"They're afraid." Danny answers, his voice low. Sam looks over, concerned. "The energy here is different now. It feels like...me. I think they know I'm King now. They're probably lying low until they know how my rule will be."

"Dude you can sense the ecto-energy? Since when?" Tucker asks from the back. That seems to snap Danny out of his reverie. His brow furrows.

"I don't know, man. I guess that's new, too." He looks out over the Zone. "I can sense what direction every ghost is in. Boxy and the Lunch Lady are together in his lair...."

"Danny, his lair is on the other side of the Zone!" Sam exclaims.

"I know. It's weird." Danny replies. "Also there's....." He pales.

"What is it?"

"I found Abbaddon."

"What power level is he?" Tucker asks, opening his secure ghost files.

"I don't know.....ten? Maybe more." Danny answers. "But he is growing in power. Exponentially so."

"Danny, you're only an eight." Sam says quietly, suddenly very concerned.

Danny looks over to study her face. "I know."

"But you are stronger already. After some training, we should re-evaluate your level." Tucker says to lighten the mood.

"You're right, Tuck." Danny says, but Sam frowns.

The rest of the trip happens in silence. Tucker pulls out Jazz's sandwiches about an hour in and offers them to the other two. Sam 'parks' the Speeder for a few minutes to eat an apple and some bread. Danny only takes one sandwich. Tucker has the other four.

"Danny, you really should eat that." Sam says, nodding towards the sandwich in his hands.

"I'm not really hungry, Sam." Danny says, his eyes still distracted. "The ectoplasm filled me up."

"Well, last I checked, you are still 50% human. You need to keep that half heathy, too." She retorts.

"Actually, it is 49.0001%. It's gotten lower in the last month." Tucker corrects. The goth glares at him before turning to Danny.

"Not the point, Tuck." Sam says, but her words are pointed at Danny. "Eat it. Please."

Danny's eyes meet hers, widening.

"All right. Sorry, Sam." He dutifully takes a bite of the sandwich. Sam says nothing as he continues his meal. When they are done, Sam restarts the Speeder, and their silent trip commences.

--------------------/ /---------------------

Sam maneuvers the Specter Speeder around the floating cogs surrounding Clockwork's Tower. When they reach the front door, she turns off the power and all three of them get out. Clockwork opens the doors with a smile. "Come in."

The group walks into the main room, where green lines swirl around. They are careful to avoid looking at any time stream for too long.

"We should start as soon as you are ready, Lord Phantom." Clockwork says. The trio turns to him in shock.

"You don't have to call me that." Danny responds shakily.

"That is true. I don't follow the King's laws." Clockwork says stoically. "But the other ghosts do. As of now, the laws are the same as when Pariah had the throne. Therefore, you must be addressed regally."

"You can help me change that, right?" Danny asks.

"It won't be very high on our priority list, but if you get through everything else....yes. We can change that."

Sam and Tucker exchange a look. "We'll just go upstairs, then." Sam says.

"Do you still have our stuff here?" Tucker asks.

"Yes. I haven't moved anything from your rooms."

Danny turns to his friends. "I'll see you guys later." He hugs Tucker, then kisses Sam on the cheek. "Don't wait up for me. If you get tired, go ahead and sleep."

They nod, but Sam's face seems drawn. With a glance, the guys have a conversation. Tucker leads Sam towards the stairs.

"Now, Danny." Clockwork says once they leave. "We need to talk."