Chapter 7

We reached the bay and all exited our respective hiding places. I ignored Zuko as we checked in and got our tickets from a grouchy old lady who clearly had an OCD problem.

We were right on time for the next boat, which we would be taking thanks to the White Lotus. Our trio boarded the ship and got as comfortable as we could on the hard deck we would be sleeping on. The members of the ferry's crew passed out a foul smelling concoction that looked like someone had gotten seasick and decided to serve it for lunch, tasted like it too. I stood away from my two companions as they argued about what passed as 'soup' on this ship. I decided to join them.

"I'm sick of eating rotten food, sleeping in the dirt... I'm tired of living like this." Zuko complained. He stared off into the distance s if something were out there for him. I was going to forget I was mad and go comfort him, but someone cut me off.

"Aren't we all?" My gaze was directed to a tall handsome boy with a piece of grass in his mouth. "My name's Jet, and these are my freedom fighters, Smellerbee, and Longshot."

"Hey." Said the young girl- Smellerbee, and Longshot only nodded in greeting. They were focused on Zuko and paid no attention to me.

"Hello."

"Here's the deal. I hear the Captain's eating like a king, while us refugees have to feed off his scraps. Doesn't seem fair, does it?"

"What sort of "king" is he eating like?" Oh Iroh, always thinking about food.

"The fat, happy kind." Iroh started to drool. "You want to help us "liberate" some food?" Zuko looked down at his bowl of stuff and threw it over the railing.

"I'm in." He agreed.

"Me too." I stepped forward. Jet looked at me and shock spread across his face.

"M-Maddy?" His eyebrows knit together in confusion, but he quickly recovered. "Well well, if it isn't my favorite Princess." Zuko looked between us, trying to figure something out.

"Excuse me?" I felt strangely offended. "Do I know you?"

"What? Have you forgotten me? What else should I expect from a firebending bitch. Ever meet up with that pathetic prince of yours sweetheart?" He knew I was a firebender! Shit shit shit! A memory started to play in my mind. Everyone had a blurry face except him and his two companions. The grass in his mouth, that stupid smirk... a fight... a town... a dam...

"I take it back, I do remember you hon." I crossed my arms and smirked in return. "Destroy any towns lately?"

"Not since I met you Princess. Hows that new hairdo I gave you working out?"

"Just fine thanks." Sarcasm dripped from my voice. "How about that new nose. still work fine?" I narrowed my eyes. His nose was different from last time, more crooked, which made me happy.

"Like. a. charm."

"Can you explain what's going on Madelyn?" Zuko sounded threatening, not to me but to the present company.

"Nothing babe, just catching up with old friends." Jet and I never broke our menacing gazes. "And I'm still in Jet. I'm coming with you unless you want there to be extra guards on duty tonight."

"I can handle guards. I can handle you."

"Just like you did last time? By tying me up and trying to kill me all the while trying to seduce me as well. I'd like to see you try."

"Oh Princess, don't get me wrong, you are a firebender and all; but you are also one of the hottest things here. Last time you had a Princey boyfriend to hide behind, now you have nothing. See you tonight." He smirked and turned to leave, taking his fighters with him.