Chapter One.

''That's it for today, and don't forget to read the first fifty pages of 'Wringer'. I'll see you next Monday," I dismissed the class after the final bell rang. The way they grabbed their things and were out of the room in a flash implied they couldn't stand to be there one more second. But I liked to think they were only excited to go home.

Teaching in an elementary school was not exactly my definition of a dream job, but it wasn't that bad and it paid the bills so why would I complain?

In this class, their ages ranged from twelve to fourteen years old. The most awkward stage of growing up. When you're trying -and failing- to act like a grown up while secretly longing for childhood days. I liked to look at them and search for resemblance between them and myself at that stage of my life, whether it was in making wrong dress choices, attitude, or thinking you know everything and nobody understands you when really, you know nothing at all.

While everyone were in a hurry to evacuate the room, one girl who sat at the back took her time to leave. A thirteen year old blond with kind brown eyes that rarely had a happy twinkle in them.

Today she looked even more miserable. From the way she carried herself it was obvious that she wasn't so eager to go home.

I could feel a frown etching on my face. Shannon was a bright girl. I didn't like seeing her like that. Thinking of a way to cheer her up, I wipped the frown off my face and managed a smile. "Shannon" I called, my voice was clearly audible though not exactly loud in the empty classroom. She looked up and smiled so genuinely I could tell it wasn't fake. It felt like a small progress, but a progress nevertheless. When she stopped in front of my desk I greeted her with a nod. "You okay? Is something wrong?"

She shook her head and adjusted the handle of her backpack "I'm good, Mrs. Ackerman, Why wouldn't I be?" Her eyes betrayed nothing, but the slight shake of her voice said everything I needed to hear. I chose to let it pass. "Just thought I'd ask, you haven't looked exactly happy lately," I said.

Her smile flattered. So I was quick to add, "I don't mean to intrude, sorry. There's something else I wanted to tell you"

I didn't want to upset her. I was only her teacher and she had absloutely no reason to vent to me about her problems. So, I decided to change the subject. "Your essay on 'The Pinballs' was great, gave me the feeling that you understand the book so well, maybe even on a deeper level."

Shannon was a young book nerd. It was obvious from her essays that she read every book with passion that most of the other students lacked
And I used this information in a weak attempt to cheer her up. "You'll like Wringer too, I'd like you to discuss it with me after we finish it."

Shannon also happened to be the tallest thirteen years old I know, And I was probably the shortest teacher she has ever met, that resulted me being taller than her with only two inches. Making us almost at eye level, and I cursed myself for not wearing heels today. She broke eye contact with me and smiled tentatively, her hand went to a lock of her hair and started toying with it, A nervous gesture, I assumed. "I've already finished it" She admitted. "I like to read books once I receive them"

I have a habit of giving my students the novels we're going to study a week before we actually start, hoping that way they would feel a bit more familiar with the book once I start explaining. It only worked for a very few students, The ones who liked to read and were interested in the subject. In other words, My favorite students. Shannon was one of them.

I beamed at her, glad to know that she was fond of my idea. "Well if so, then come to me after class tomorrow, I'd like to know your detailed opinion on the book, and I have a few suggestions of books you might like, Might give you one of them if you're interested"