Chapter 2

Nandini rushed through the house, locating and picking up Prakash's books. She wasn't the only one. Her mother and grandfather too were excavating different parts of the house for the books. Prakash, meanwhile, was praying that they fail in this mission. He didn't want to go to school, and all other excuses – fever, stomachache, and mysterious pains - had failed. So he had planted his books in different corners of the house. This was his last chance at a day off and he would not give in without a fight.

But all his efforts went to waste as his mother, sister and grandfather emerged victoriously from different corners of the old and huge house with his books in hand. While his grandfather was busy attributing his success in finding the books to the new talisman that he had created, and her mother was packing both their lunches, Nandini was giving him an I-know-you-did-this-to-avoid-school-but-it-didn't-work kind of amused smile.

Mission accomplished, Nandini speedily started getting ready herself for college. She rushed around her room, stuffing her books into her slightly worn bag, while her mother followed her with a plate in hand, feeding her breakfast. Then finally, she was ready, and her mother had gotten a very dejected looking Prakash ready too. The two of them said their goodbyes and set off on Nandini's old cycle.

Prakash's and her mother's school was not very far from their home. But Nandini's college was at quite a distance away. The school was at the end of the little street on which they were traveling. This street led to the main road, and a little way down this main road, she would enter a side road. Then came a long stretch, which was isolated but beautiful, with lush greenery on both sides. And at the end of this stretch was the huge, lush green campus of Nandini's college – Ramchandra College of Science and Arts.   This college was a matter of pride for Shamli. It was a very old and reputed institute and attracted students from all corners of the country, who stayed at the hostel in the campus.

"You hid those books yourself, didn't you?" Nandini asked her brother, who was sitting on the metal stand behind her seat, once they were on the little street that led to the main road. Prakash suddenly became engrossed in studying his water bottle and didn't say anything. Nandini chuckled.

She was already getting late for college but their progress was slow. It was just around eight in the morning and many of the neighbours were outside in their little courtyards, watering the plants or hanging clothes or were on their way to work. They all exchanged greetings with Nandini, who unfailingly asked them a word or two about their well being.

She dropped Prakash off at his school and, before he could object to being treated like a baby, she pulled his cheek playfully, and then cycled away, giggling at his angry and insulted expression as he yelled 'Di!'.

She cycled furiously to reach her college on time and made it with just five minutes to spare. She parked her cycle, rushed to her class and dropped down tiredly in between her two best friends, Nishkala and Vrinda. Nandini picked up her water bottle and drained half of it. Her friends waited for her to catch her breath, then pounced.

"Why didn't you come yesterday? You knew it was a very important lecture," Nishi scolded.

But luckily at that minute their professor came in, and all conversation came to an end.

*********************

An hour later, the lecture was over and their next class was on another floor. The class was emptying slowly. Knowing that her friends would have thought of lots more things to say to 'discipline' her in the past hour, Nandini tried to appear busy in rearranging her books in her bag. But when the absolute silence continued, she looked up and saw the two of them standing in front of her, arms crossed, waiting for an explanation.

"I know it was important, but four of my tuition children have a very important exam today, so I had to coach them all day yesterday," she said pleadingly.

"You can't play around with your own education for those kids," Vrinda said sternly, while Nishi nodded vigorously in agreement.

"Yes I can ...because I have the sweetest and most helpful friends in the whole universe, who won't think twice before sharing their notes with me," Nandini said enthusiastically, before adding, "Don't I?", and looking at them beseechingly.

She knew they had melted from their softening expressions, and smiled impishly and placed one arm each around their necks and hugged them close.

They sighed jointly, then grinned and hugged her back. It was difficult to be stern with Nandini for more than a couple of minutes. 

"You can stop strangling us now,' Vrinda said dryly, 'We'll give you the notes. But no more holidays for those brats," she added strictly, wagging her finger at Nandini, while Nishi dug out the notes from the bag and gave it to her.

"Of course, no problem," Nandini pledged.

"Nishi, check her fingers," Vrinda said suddenly, "I'm sure they are crossed."

But Nandini had clenched her fists and was holding them behind her back, and her friends tried to pry them out, all three of them giggling. Laughing and joking, they made their way into the corridor, all seriousness forgotten.

*************************

Nishi and Vrinda were telling Nandini all that had happened the previous day when she had been absent. They would not admit it even to themselves, leave alone Nandini, but their irritation at her taking leave did not have much to do with the important lecture; they had simply found the day horribly dull without her. The three girls were walking along the corridor, oblivious to a pair of eyes fixed on Nandini's beautiful face and smile.

Suvek walked confidently through the hoards of students, apparently not noticing the admiring, worshipful glances and sighs of girls coming his way. He walked past all of them and didn't stop till he was right in front of the three girls. 

"Hi Nandini," he said, flashing his trademark grin with dimples that girls swooned over. He turned to her friends and gave them a cursory smile before focusing on Nandini again. "I was looking for you yesterday; you were absent, weren't you? Our club has decided to accept first year students as members from this year on, and I wanted to ask you if you would like to join us."

"Thanks for asking me, Suvek, but I'm really sorry. I won't be able to participate in the club's activities or meetings...too much college work, and I have some commitments at home too," Nandini answered with a regretful smile. She was inwardly puzzled at the gesture - the club only admitted students who were academically excellent and also very popular. And she didn't believe she belonged to either of the categories.

"Oh...that's okay then," he said cheerfully. But as he stood to a side and let them pass, his shoulders had hunched down with disappointment. And he didn't take his eyes off the girl in the simple dark blue chudidaar, with waist-long silky and glossy black hair, until she walked into a class and vanished from his view.

Her friends waited till he was out of earshot, and then rounded on her. "Did you actually do that?" Vrinda asked incredulously, and then turned to Nishkala. "Please Nishi, tell me this foolish girl didn't actually turn down the invitation given by the smartest and cutest boy in this universe to join the most exclusive club in the college."

"I'm afraid she did, Vrinda," Nishi said looking at Nandini as though she were crazy. "What's wrong with you girl."

"What did I do wrong?" Nandini asked bewildered. "You know I wasn't lying. I really wouldn't be able to do justice if I joined that club. We have so much course work and I take tuitions once I go home, and I have to help maa too with other responsibilities. And it's not just that...they have meetings so many times a week, that I wont be able to spend time with my best friends too," she added appealingly.

"Don't worry about us. We both will stand outside the club doors during your meetings. So that way, all three of us will still be together. Pleaaasee join the club," Vrinda pleaded.

"And Suvek is the most handsome, intelligent and popular boy in college...you will actually be able to be in the same room as him," Nishi wailed, "If he had invited ME, I would have disowned my family and both of you too just so I could become a member." Then, catching the raised eyebrows of both her friends, she grinned sheepishly and said, "Just kidding, of course."

They entered their next class and the three friends sat down in the second-last row, as was their regular practice in lectures. Vrinda and Nishi resumed their lamentations.

"He'll probably never come to talk to us again," Nishi said miserably

It's not just the commitments I have," Nandini confessed uncomfortably, "I know it's a nice club, but the activities that they take up....are just not very...meaningful."

"You're just 18 years old, you have time to do meaningful things later," Vrinda said, exasperated.

"What I can't understand is why on earth did he invite me of all people," Nandini said, frowning, "I'm not a class-topper and I'm definitely not popular." 

"Not popular??" Nishi repeated, aghast. "Everyone from the cleaner of the toilets to the professors is your friend. And I got the feeling that Suvek likes you," she added thoughtfully.

"Yes...right" Nandini said wryly, finding the idea ridiculous. "He likes me. Because all the good looking girls in this college have disappeared into thin air."

"It's no use, Nishi. She won't believe us. She'll find out herself someday," Vrinda said with a wise look. "He looked so handsome today, didn't he," she sighed.

*********************

There was a one hour break between the lectures and the three of them were sitting in the canteen, sipping hot tea.

"I just don't understand how you tolerate those spoilt brats in your tuition every day," Vrinda was saying.

"They aren't unruly...they are misunderstood." Nandini said patiently for what felt like the hundredth time, "It's not their fault their parents don't deny them anything. If you treat them with the right amount of firmness and affection, they are really sweet."

Nishi rolled hereyes and Vrinda looked at her solemnly, "There is no hope for you, kiddo."

Nandini laughed.

"Excuse me," a timid voice said, and all three turned to look at a small, frightened looking young girl, who didn't look older than 14.

"Yes," Vrinda asked.

"Could you tell me where the principal's office is?" the girl asked nervously.

"Sure," Nandini smiled, "it's on the second floor, third room to the right."

"Thank you," the girl smiled shyly and left.

Vrinda and Nishi started talking about something that had happened that morning, but Nandini was looking at the jittery and unsure way in which the little girl was navigating her way through the canteen crowd.

She stood up, told her friends she would be right back and set off after the girl. Vrinda and Nishi didn't ask her where she was going. They knew exactly why she had left, and only exchanged resigned looks.

 Nandini came up behind the girl just outside the canteen and tapped her on the shoulder.

The girl turned around startled, then puzzled. "I'll show you the way," Nandini said.

"Thank you so much," the girl said gratefully, her relief evident.

"I'm Nandini," she said extending her hand.

"My name is Rajeshwari," the girl said, returning the handshake.

"Are you a new student?"

"Oh no, I'm just here for....for...something," the girl's voice faltered, and her face reddened.

Nandini didn't pursue the topic since the girl was plainly uneasy with the subject, and started to point out the various classes and departments on the way to the second floor to make her feel comfortable.

Each time they had to pass a gathering of students, Rajeshwari seemed to become nervous, and Nandini sensed that the girl was terrified of crowds. Every second person in the corridor either gave Nandini a cheery greeting or asked her to join them for some time. Nandini responded gaily to all of them but continued to walk with Rajeshwari.

'Everyone here knows you, and likes you too,' Rajeshwari said in an almost awed tone, as if it was so unusual a thing to be known and liked.

'You are only feeling that because many of my friends just happened to be here in this corridor at the same time," Nandini chuckled, "I'm not as known or liked as you think." But she was looking at the timid little creature walking beside her with increasing compassion.

They were just about to climb the stairs, when a whole crowd of students came stampeding down from a just released class. White-faced, Rajeshwari immediately backed away to stand behind Nandini and grabbed her hand tightly in fear. Nandini didn't react but simply returned the grasp and held on to the frightened girl's cold hand till they reached the principal's office.

Once they were outside the door, Nandini turned to her, and kindly said, "This is the office. I'll leave you now, but I'll be in the campus for two more hours...if you need help with anything else."

"Thank you," Rajeshwari said again with touching sincerity, and Nandini impulsively patted her head affectionately, and then walked away to rejoin her friends in the canteen.

When she returned to the canteen, she walked over to the counter to order a fruit juice for herself before walking to the table where her friends were sitting.

Just then, Suvek walked in with a whole group of his friends and admirers. He halted for a minute and looked around the place, searching for someone. Then his eyes fell on Nandini who returning from the canteen counter to her table with a fruit juice in hand.

"Hi Nandini!" he called out.

Nandini looked around, returned the greeting and continued to walk back to her table.

"Did you notice?" Vrinda asked excitedly when she had set down her glass on the table. "You are the only one he wished."

"So?" Nandini asked, confused.

"Don't you see?? That's proof that he likes you," Nishi declared. 

Nandini only shook her head in exasperation at the foolishness of her friends and pulled out the notes given by Nishi, thinking it would be better use of her time to go through it.

"Isn't it really sad that even though the way he smiled at me today morning was so forced," Vrinda said mournfully, "it was still the most romantic thing that has ever happened to me so far..."

"Treasure the memories of that artificial smile." Nishi replied, just as dejected, "After that rebuff by this dimwit, I don't think he's even going to give us fake smiles anymore."

Nandini had been going through the notes but a few words from their conversation floated into her consciousness. Her eyes remained on the page, but her mind wandered away, back in time.

'The most romantic thing that ever happened to me'....

She thought of a fragrant, moonlit night two months ago, a little lamp and a boy. A boy with brilliant black eyes, which had seemed to drill into her own, almost transfixing her to the spot...

She had never spoken about that night to anyone, not even to her best friends, who had been part of her life since nursery and were privy to almost every little thing that had happened in her life since then. For reasons she didn't understand herself, her heart had illogically attached some kind of sanctity to what happened that night, and to share it seemed akin to blasphemy.

Sometimes, in one of her imaginative moods, she even wondered if the boy had really been there...or if her grandfather's stories of demi gods who came down to earth were true. In the combined light of the moon and the lamp, he had looked striking enough to be one. But even in her grandpa's over-active imagination, demi gods were not likely to be innovative or modern enough to come to the earth dressed in a black shirt and jeans. She stifled a laugh at the thought.

'No. The boy had simply been a traveller,' she told herself with finality. 'A traveller who was not going to come by again.'

For some reason, the thought was unbearable.

************************