Chapter 27

Nandini squeezed her eyes shut, and more tears trickled down her cheeks. She sobbed and wiped them away, and then took the knife into her hand again. It was difficult to go on, but she had no choice. She had to complete the task she had begun, and there wasn’t much time left.

She sighed and looked at the second onion.

Why did cutting onions have to be so difficult? Why couldn’t it be as easy as chopping other vegetables? But these mysteries of life would have to wait, because dinner had to be ready within the next hour.

Melodious music glided into the kitchen, and Nandini smiled through her tears as her grandfather crooned along with the old hindi song coming from the radio in his room. He was a terrible singer, but it seemed to be the cutest voice on earth at this minute.

"Di," someone yelled from her side. “There is a call for you.”

“The phone rang? But I didn’t hear anything,” she said, mopping her cheeks and looking at her brother. “Who is it?”

“It’s Vrinda Di. And you didn’t hear the phone because the spirit of some horrible singer has entered grandpa,” Prakash said loudly with his hands clapped over his ears

"Ssshhhh....don’t say such an unkind thing," she scolded as she kept aside the knife and washed her hands. “I think you’ve been spending too much time with Prithvi.”

"I wish that was true, He is the best. When I grow up, I want to be just like him,"

Prakash said fervently, as Sarojini entered the kitchen, absorbed in reading a recipe book, apparently planning to try out a new dish. They had invited their neighbours over for dinner as Sumer Singh had only returned in the late afternoon.

Nandini, who was walking over to the phone, chuckled at her brother’s enthusiasm.

“Hi Vrinda,” she grinned into the phone.

“Nandini, what am I going to do,” a wail came down the line.

“What’s wrong?” she asked anxiously, dabbing at her eyes which were still stinging.

“I don’t remember the dialogues! Tomorrow I’m going to go blank just like Rishabh…I just know it. I’ll never be able to do the role of the heroine. I keep forgetting the exact words and say anything that comes to my mind.”

“You will not forget any line,” Nandini said firmly. “You can practice with me. I’ve heard you read it out so many times that I’ll be able to tell you if you are making any mistake. So tell me the dialogue on the phone.”

Vrinda seemed to brighten up at the idea. “That’s a good idea. Okay, here goes,” she took a deep breath. "You said you loved me, and would take care of me. How can you even think of abandoning me now? I'm pregnant with your child!”

“You said it perfectly. Only two-three words were wrong,” Nandini said, choking a little as the fumes of red chilies wafted into the drawing room from the kitchen. The stinging brought fresh tears to her eyes. "The actual line is - 'You said you loved me, and you promised to take care of me for ever. How can you abandon me now, when I’m pregnant with your child.'