Chapter 9

Nandini laid down the pen tiredly and flexed her fingers. It was just 7:30 in the morning and she had already been writing non-stop for two hours. She had woken up early to copy the notes she had borrowed from Nishi nearly a week ago. Just two paragraphs to go and her work would be complete. She was in her room, seated at the table that was placed against the window. This window opened into an empty room in Ayodhya and the other window in her room opened to the view of the temple and its surroundings.

Nandini turned in her seat as her mother came into the room. 

"You got up so early today," Sarojini said. "Why don't you sleep for some time? You won't get time to sleep in the afternoon."

"Just two paras to finish, maa. Then I'll sleep for half an hour."

"Okay. Be sure to get some rest. I forgot to ask you before, the lamps are ready, aren't they?" she asked anxiously.

There was a special pooja in the late afternoon at the temple and many people would be attending it.  Nandini and her family had been busy in preparations since yesterday evening and they had worked late into the night.

"Everything is ready, maa," Nandini smiled. "The lamps, the flowers, the oil. You don't need to worry about anything."

"Alright...I hope everything goes well today. Your grandfather has invited the new tenants too, and Sumer Singhji had promised to attend and bring along Prithvi too," Sarojini added happily.

Nandini was confident that Sumer Singh would come, but Prithvi...

She looked at the pleasure on her mother's face that their distinguished neighbours would be attending the small function.

"I am sure they both will attend," she smiled.

*******************

"I am not going to any pooja anywhere, Baba," Prithvi, who was taking some notes out of the book-case, said with finality.

Sumer Singh started to remonstrate when someone knocked on the door. He decided to resume his attempt to convince Prithvi to attend the function after answering the knock.

When he opened the door, a man in his early forties was waiting outside, sweating profusely.

"Ramdas....what are you doing here?" Sumer Singh asked in surprised welcome. "Come inside."

Ramdas staggered in through the door, and came to an abrupt halt when he saw Prithvi, who was looking at him inquiringly.

He walked unsteadily towards him till he was just a couple of feet from Prithvi. "You are Prithvi, aren't you?" he asked urgently.

"Yes, unfortunately."

"I am really sorry," the man whispered and dropped to his knees and fainted at Prithvi's feet.

Sumer Singh ran over to the prone man. Prithvi was already hoisting him up and Sumer Singh helped him carry the man and lay him on the sofa.  

"Baba, bring some water," Prithvi said and Sumer Singh hurried off to the kitchen and returned with a glass.

Prithvi splashed some water on the unconscious man, and asked Sumer Singh, "You seem to know him, Baba. Who is he?"

"This is Ramdas. I know his father, Harinarayan very well.  They both had even come to our previous house once, but you were abroad then."

"Harinarayan," Prithvi said pensively.  "Wasn't he among the close attendants of my.."

"Yes, my lord. Oh he is coming around now."