Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Callan grabbed Ser Keating by the shoulder in one large hand and flung open the door with the other.  

"This is a setup!" he continued, speaking in a low urgent voice, trying to convince Chang and his men that he had not suddenly run mad. He hauled Keating backwards out of the room, and pushed him towards the elevators. "Get as far from here as you can!" He ordered. "Run!" 

The messenger in red pushed past him, evidently prepared to act now and wait for explanations later. He was followed closely by Vinh, Chang hard on his heels.  

"There's someone in the room above. I'm betting either gas or a bomb." Callan continued to explain urgently, holding the door open for the last man. As soon as he was out, Callan slammed the door shut and raced down the passage after the others. 

Whump! 

The whole corridor shook and the door from room 201 was flung outwards, smashing into the opposite wall. Callan felt the shock wave from the blast like a punch in the back. He could have sworn it lifted him up and carried him forward. He staggered but didn't fall, realising he could thank his lucky stars that the bomb had to have been a small one. Mind you, it would have been quite big enough to kill all six of them, if they'd still been inside room 201. The blast wave pressure alone in a confined space would have been enough to cause everyone massive internal damage. 

"Vinh, stay with Ser Keating, Talyor, you're with me," Callan ordered as everyone turned for a second to look at the damage behind them. Ser Keating looked pale and shaken, his mouth open, unable to tear his eyes away from the dust billowing out of room 201. The guards, both his and Chang's were on high alert, their eyes scanning the area for further threats, closing in around their respective charges.  

A door opened to reveal Muller, not even breathing hard despite running up two flights of stairs in a few seconds. "He's with me," Callan said quickly, seeing the bald headed guard aim his stunner at Muller's chest. 

"Anyone come down after the explosion?" he asked Muller. The stocky guard shook his head uncomfortably. "Sorry boss, I didn't hang around to check, I came straight up here." Too late, he realised he had probably missed an opportunity to catch the person responsible. He doubted whether the hotel security would be of any assistance, the last he saw, she had been too busy trying to cope with hysterical guests. 

"Let's go up and check," Callan ordered evenly, certain that the perpetrator would be long gone, but still, there might be something to tell them who was behind the attack. "Vinh? You and Muller escort Ser Keating to the ship would you? Talyor, let's go." 

Callan used the emergency stairwell that Muller had just exited, taking the stairs up three at a time. He realised that Chang and the bald headed guard were both following, but kept quiet, there would be time enough to talk when they reached room 301. 

There was no-one in the passage when Callan stepped cautiously out of the stairwell. Soft footed, he walked towards the door of room 301. It was shut, rather to his surprise. He'd expected it to be open, left swinging by the hasty departure of the man responsible for triggering the bomb. He paused, assessing the situation. 

With some impatience, Chang brushed past him and put his hand on the door. Who had put Ryan Callan in charge of this operation anyway? He pushed the door open before Callan could say anything. 

Whump! 

The explosion threw Chang back against the wall with shocking, brutal force. Callan could see the blood pouring from his ears and mouth, at the same time as he felt the blast lift him right off his feet and fling him to the ground a second later.  

He opened his eyes. He lay on his back on the floor, feeling dizzy and trying to get his breath. His head was ringing and there was a sharp pain in his ears, it felt like he had burst both ear drums, but he was alive. He didn't think Chang was. He knew he should get up and check but he couldn't seem to get his legs working. He saw Talyor's worried face looking down at him. His mouth was moving but he couldn't hear what he was saying. 

The bald headed man was bending over Chang, his face grim. He stood up and drew his weapon and ... pointed it directly at Talyor. "I don't know what's going on here, but I'm going to find out." His voice was flat and hard. He gestured to Callan, with a slight flick of his head. "Pick him up. The boss will want to speak to him." 

"It wasn't anything to do with us," Talyor protested, indignant. "We were victims here as much as you!" 

"Maybe." He gestured again, impatiently. "Come on, let's go before the 'lice get here." 

Stiff with outrage, Talyor bent down and helped Callan to stand.  

"What's going on?" Callan asked in a too loud voice. Talyor answered, but he could tell his boss still couldn't hear him. "We're getting out of here," he repeated slowly, so Callan could read his lips. "Chang is dead." 

The other man was unsteady but managed to keep on his feet once Talyor got him there. No broken bones thank god. Talyor draped one arm over his shoulders and moved towards the elevator, Chang's guard close behind them. All three squeezed into the elevator. Talyor tried to protest again but was told sharply to shut his mouth. As soon as the elevator opened at the ground floor, the guard put Callan's other arm over his own shoulder, then without warning, shot Talyor in the back. 

He tightened his grip on Callan as Talyor fell, and called out, "Can we have some help here? I have to get my friend to a medic. This man was helping me but he's just passed out, he might be injured too." 

Everyone could see the blood running down Callan's face. A couple of men rushed to help, one of them pulling Talyor out of the elevator to check his pulse and the other offering to help with Callan. 

"I'm good," the guard fended off the good Samaritan. "Help the other guy. My hovercar is just outside, I want to get Bill straight to the clinic."  

Callan couldn't hear what was going on, but it didn't look like anyone was going to help him. He could feel the stunner pressing painfully into his side, under his jacket. He knew the guard wouldn't hesitate to use it. He was a big man, and heavy as Callan was, he thought he wouldn't have any trouble dragging him to the hovercar, even if he was unconscious. On the other hand, it was common knowledge that the best time to halt an abduction was at the beginning. The guard might claim he just wanted to talk to him, but if Chang was dead, who knew what his successor would want? He drew in his breath to shout for help.