Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen 

"Governor kidnapped! One hundred thousand credits demanded! TriVid4 understands a ransom demand for Governor Callan of Asra has just been received by the police. Apparently Governor Callan was at the Victory Hotel at the time of the bombing. It now seems that the entire purpose behind the bombing may have been to kidnap the Governor. Our sources tell us the huge sum of one hundred thousand credits has been demanded for the Governor's safe return, however Captain Spier of the Kapunda police has yet to confirm or deny the rumours. Stay tuned to TriVid4, the station that brings you the news before it happens!" 

"What the-!" Trenwith stared at console unit in total disbelief. That was the last thing he had expected. According to Mike, Callan had been last seen leaving the hotel with one of Chang's men. What on Earth had happened since? Even if Chang had wanted to question Callan about the bombing, they would scarcely be holding him for ransom now! Had Callan and the guard, Anderson, been ambushed after leaving the hotel? Taken prisoner by Chang's rivals?  

Dane was struggling to think straight, his frantic brain was leaping from one thought to another. Was Ryan okay? Had they hurt him? He was going to personally kill anyone who dared to lay a finger on him. And how on Earth was he going to get hold of a hundred thousand credits? Perhaps if he took out a loan against both ships he could- 

"Let's start with what we know," Mike was saying, taking control. "Anyone heard from Talyor yet?" 

Nobody had. "Vinh, can you try his wristcom please? And Dane, have another try to contact Callan. If he doesn't answer, see if you can get his location." Oliver was pretty certain that whoever had taken Callan had already disposed of his wristcom, but he had to make sure. 

"Ser, just how far do you trust Jian Chang?" The Lieutenant turned to Ser Keating.  

"Well enough that I was prepared to entrust the safety of my entire business to him! Until today's events that is. Now? I just don't know." His voice sounded shaky. 

Lieutenant Oliver took a closer look. "Ser? You're in shock. I think you should go straight to the nearest clinic to get yourself checked out, and take Vinh or Muller with you as security. I know Captain Spier will want to interview you as soon as possible but go to the clinic first." 

He looked up at the two guards to get their agreement. Vinh nodded, still focussed on his wristcom. "I'm not having any luck contacting Talyor, Lieutenant," he was saying, when he got a call. "Yes, Vinh here," he answered. Suddenly his face relaxed. "I'll be there shortly, thank you!" He turned to the others. "Good news. That was the Mercy Clinic, the aide saw my call on his wristcom and rang me back. Talyor was brought in there an hour ago, unconscious. She said as far as they can tell there's nothing wrong with him, but here's the odd thing, they think he was stunned, I mean with a stunner."  

"This whole thing is odd," exclaimed Dane in angry confusion. "Nothing makes any sense! And I'm not getting anything from Callan's wristcom, nothing at all. I suppose whoever kidnapped him, destroyed it, either that, or put it in a lead box!"  

Lieutenant Oliver was still piecing events together. "Has anyone heard who the fatality is yet?" Everyone stared at him. "It was on the news. Captain Spier said there was one fatality." 

Vinh was the first to put thought into words. "Chang! It must have been Chang!" 

Oliver bit his lip. If Chang had been killed in the second explosion, that put a whole new complexion on Callan's disappearance. He supposed it was possible he had been kidnapped by a rival, but wasn't it more likely he had become a pawn in the power struggles to fill Chang's place? He didn't know which was more frightening. 

"Vinh? Can you take Ser Keating with you to the clinic?" 

"Sure. I think Muller should come with us, I might need help with Talyor." 

"Both of you go, I'll stay here," announced Dane. "In case we get instructions about the ransom. I can get the office console routed through to the console unit here on the Rover." 

Oliver frowned briefly but then nodded. It wasn't as if Dane had been at the Victory. If Captain Spier wanted to talk to him, she could contact him easily enough on the Rover. 

"I'm going to pay Captain Spier a visit, in person. Bring her up to speed on what we know," he decided. Much as the AISS men wanted to manage their own affairs, they needed help. And that was apart from the fact that as a Patrol officer, he was legally obliged to co-operate with the police. Going off on a hunt of his own wouldn't do his career any good, even if he knew where to start.  

"Can I have a word before you go?" Dane murmured to Oliver, as Vinh and Muller helped Ser Keating to his feet.  

"Of course." What was Dane up to now? The Lieutenant hoped he wasn't going to tell him about anything criminal, that he'd feel guilty passing on to Captain Spier. He gave a wry grimace. Last time Dane had wanted to speak to him privately, he had tried to seduce him, at least this time it was bound to be something about Callan! Even a blind man could see how worried he was about him. 

Dane waited until they were alone on the ship before turning to Oliver, getting as close as he could without actually touching. "You'll do everything you can to find Callan, make sure he's safe? Won't you?" He looked searchingly into his eyes, trying to see if he was as committed as he wanted him to be. 

"I'll do my best, I promise." 

Dane didn't seem to be totally convinced. To Oliver's complete astonishment, Dane cupped a hand behind his head and smoothly drew his mouth down to his own, crowding Oliver back against the wall of the ship. His lips pressed firmly against those of the other man. They felt soft and warm and ... what on Earth did Dane think he was doing? Oliver pulled away sharply. "It's hardly the right time for this!" he protested, a little angrily. 

"Relax," murmured Dane, letting his fingers play with the soft hair at the nape of Oliver's neck. "This is not a seduction." 

"No?" asked the Lieutenant dryly. 

"Think of it more as an incentive," smiled Dane. "If you can get Callan back for me, I'm likely to be very grateful."