Chapter Thirty Seven

Callan's wristcom woke him early the next morning with an urgent message. 

"Governor Callan? It's Needham here. I've got good news. My team has finished repairing the dome, it's safe now for people to come up and move around as normal." 

"That's excellent news Ser Needham. Thank you!" 

He looked with some regret at his two lovers, who were awake and watching him, waiting for him to give them the news. "The dome's fixed, we've just been given the all clear. I have to get up and let people know." 

Much as he wanted to pull Callan back down into bed, Mike knew he should be up and about too, doing his job. He sighed and got up. Callan was already half dressed, Dane heading for the shower, when Mike realised they hadn't managed to talk about any of the things they needed to. Now wasn't the best time, but if he wanted this relationship to be about more than sex, he had to start opening up. 

He was so used to keeping his problems to himself, it took a real effort to open his mouth and tell them. 

"I have to go Burra later today, once things are running smoothly here," he announced, abruptly. "Captain Spier wants to see me. Someone," he couldn't help flushing, "told her that Chang is my father. She thinks that's suspicious. I don't know if she has any actual evidence against me but ... I don't know when I'll be back." 

Instantly, more than a few things slotted into place for Dane and Ryan. 

"I'll take you," Dane offered. He looked at Callan, "If I'm not needed here?" 

"That should be fine, as long as it's in the afternoon. The Rover will probably be in demand this morning." He gave Mike a hard hug. "I wish I could come too, but I think I have to stay here, to reassure everyone that things are back to normal. But let me know immediately if there is a problem, won't you?' He included Dane in his demand. 

Both men nodded.  

"Now give me a kiss and let's get moving." 

XXX 

Captain Spier had not been a bit happy with Captain Takamoto's call yesterday. Surely her investigations into the bombing and the extortion demand took priority over some bureaucratic Patrol protocol for god's sake! Now she had to wait another day until she could get her hands on Oliver, presuming he deigned to turn up at all. She didn't like to admit, even to herself, that the reason she was so keen to interrogate him was because he was the only solid lead she had to go on. Everything else had disappeared like smoke between her fingers. 

She got into work early as usual and sat down at her desk to open up her console unit. There was a brief report from Lieutenant Varga in Wallaroo, advising that Mo Khan was keeping pretty much to himself, apparently enjoying the pleasures of the resort without feeling the need to travel around the islands. She sent a brief acknowledgement and moved on to the next item. 

She frowned in annoyance. Her personal communication stream on the console unit was supposed to be unhackable, yet here was a message from an unknown source, advising it would be worth her while to go to a certain location and providing the co-ordinates. Who was this D. Vader? The name sounded faintly familiar for some reason, although it certainly wasn't one of her officers or even a professional colleague.  

She drummed her fingers on the desk. It had taken someone a lot of effort to arrange this message, it wouldn't hurt to send an officer to have a look. Or perhaps two, to watch each other's back. As soon as Officers Fenn and Clarkson came in she told them to collect their weapons and investigate the tip. Then she moved on to the next item of business, putting the issue to the back of her mind, it was probably a waste of time in any case, some idiot's idea of a joke.