Chapter Thirty Five

Mike didn't stop to think. His hands took over, squirting the plasfoam into the crack and half a metre to each side as well. He kept going until the canister was empty. 

He couldn't see any more cracking but his mask had iced up again which didn't help. That was the best he could manage, he could only hope that would be enough, at least until the professionals arrived to make proper repairs. Very carefully, he turned and made his way back to the ship. 

"It's a temporary fix, but I think it's holding for the moment," he told Dane and TeeJay. "I think everyone on Asra should stay underground though, until the engineers give us the 'all clear'." 

The other two both nodded in agreement. Mike spent the journey back briefing Callan, Captain Takamoto and Chief Engineer Needham on the results of their mission. Needham was gratifyingly complimentary about TeeJay's solution.  

"Good idea. That should hold it until my team can get there, in a an hour or two. We're leaving Oriell now," he added. "Make sure no-one goes up onto the surface until I authorise it."  

When Mike had finished with the briefing, he asked Captain Takamoto for a private word, moving away from his two companions to talk quietly on his wristcom. 

"Captain, can I ask your permission to stay on Asra until this is resolved?" 

"Of course, Lieutenant." Takamoto sounded surprised.  

"I realise Captain Spier ordered me to report to her immediately, but I think this takes priority. It should only be an extra day at the most if all goes well, and if it doesn't ... I'll be needed here even more." 

"What do you mean, she's 'ordered' you?" 

For the first time it dawned on Oliver that Takamoto didn't know what he was talking about. Captain Spier hadn't consulted him. 

He cleared his throat. "I'm sorry sir, it didn't occur to me that you hadn't been informed. You've heard of the man known as 'Chang'?" 

"Yes, the so-called business man, based in Kapunda?" 

"Ah, yes." Oliver took a breath, was he going to tell Takamoto the truth or not? "Someone informed Captain Spier that he's my father. She has concerns that I'm mixed up in this extortion deal because of it."  

There was a short silence on the other end. "And is he? Your father, I mean?" 

"Yes sir." 

"That's not on your record," commented Takamoto evenly. "It says 'father's name - unknown'." 

"Yes sir. Technically that's correct, I honestly don't know his real name. He maybe calling himself Chang now, but that wasn't the name he was going by when I left. Back then it was 'John Smith'." 

"Ah. I see."  

Oliver continued. "We had a falling out over my decision to join the Academy. I decided on a new name and a fresh start. We haven't been in contact since, well, not until the incident with the explosion in the Victory." He paused for a second, seeking to convince the Captain of his sincerity. "I give you my word on my oath as a Patrol officer, that I am not involved in the extortion scam! To be honest, I don't think Chang is either. He's on the verge of signing a lucrative deal with Ser Keating and Tinto mines, there's no reason for him to jeopardise that. It sounds much more like something his rival, Mo Khan would be involved in." 

"I see. I'll have a word with Captain Spier, but it seems to me the issue of your identity is a matter for the Patrol, not the police. Despite what Captain Spier would like to believe, you're still under my authority and I'm ordering you to stay on Asra until this crisis with the dome is resolved. I can't interfere with Captain Spier's investigation of course, but I'll let her know you'll be in to see her tomorrow to assist with her enquiries, all being well." 

Mike Oliver couldn't believe it. "So I haven't been suspended? I'm still the Patrol's officer on Asra?" 

"Yes, of course. Until I say otherwise." Captain Takamoto sounded a bit irritable. 

"Thank you sir! I won't let you down." Mike felt as if a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders, he wished futilely that he'd talked to Captain Takamoto as soon as he had heard from Captain Spier.  

Now all he had to do was apologise to Dane and Ryan. All? Who was he kidding? The weight on his shoulders returned with a thump. He didn't think they'd ever want him as their lover again. 

XXX 

Dane, Mike and TeeJay were moving as fast as they could through the streets of Asra to reach the Rising Sun. Mike had looked up once at where he thought the bomb had been, but he couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, maybe if he had a chance he'd have another look with his lens when he got back to his quarters. 

Now the dome was no longer his immediate priority, his mind was full of thoughts about Dane and Ryan. He was revved up, wanting to offload some of that adrenaline. If only he hadn't lashed out at them, broken up their relationship, he could have been hoping for some great sex later that evening. Ryan's soft mouth on his, Dane's urgent hands ... 

Instead he had another lonely night to look forward to. 

He had to talk to them, in private, as soon as he could but he couldn't think of what to say. 'Sorry' probably wasn't going to cut it. But he had to try. 

Maybe they could never go back to the relationship they had had before, but he was going to give it his best shot. Maybe, at the least, they could be friends again. 

He flicked a quick glance sideways at Dane, he'd been pretty angry with him, well they'd both been pretty angry with each other. Was it possible to get past that? He thought Ryan might be willing to forgive him if it was just between the two of them, but it wasn't. Ryan was loyal. Dane was his closest friend, he didn't think he'd choose him, Mike, if it meant jeopardising his friendship with Dane. 

His mind kept replaying Dane's last words to him. Dane wanted to fuck him, but he didn't think he meant it in a loving way.