2.

A Dinner Meant to Mend

THE SUPERNATURAL. Supposedly, they do not exist. The unbelievers believed—and still do—that something as unexplainable as the supernatural would be impossible to exist. Florence Allen was one of them. Although her friend Ryan Fell believed in them, she was convinced that it was impossible for them to walk amongst a world of humans. She was on the side of science, the subject which proved every one of her beliefs. Still, Ryan tried a countless amount of times to convince her of the reality that is supernatural, but she refused to believe him.

   "Oh, yeah? Then why's there a council where half of them don't even interact with the residents of this town?" he said. "I mean, if they aren't contributing to the wellbeing of this town, then they've gotta be here for some reason, right? You should know, your sister is on the council. I say they're a group of vampire hunters."

   "You're crazy," Florence replied with a roll of her eyes. She went back to studying for her chemistry test, disregarding his beliefs. "It's impossible."

   He snapped his fingers, having what he called an 'A-ha moment.' "That's what they want you to think. Imagine how cool it'd be to be part of the supernatural. You could be a witch, and then I'd have a witty way to call you a bitch."

   She was going to say something when she got a text from an unknown number. Raising an eyebrow, she picked up her phone to read the text.

UNKNOWN: Hey, I know you have no reason to speak to me, especially after I blamed you for the death of my parents, but I'm having dinner with Stefan and Bonnie tonight and I was really hoping you'd come. Take it as an apology dinner. From Elena

   "Who is it?" Ryan questioned, sitting up. Florence sighed, handing him her phone. He read over the text and made a face. "Wow. So you're gonna go, right?"

   "No."

   "What? No, Florence, you gotta go. Look, Elena wants to apologize. At least hear her out. And Stefan's going to be there, you can resume your make out session with him over dinner."

   She ignored his comment about the Salvatore and sighed, knowing he was right. "You're coming with me."

   "Huh? What—no, I am not coming with you. I don't even know them, Flore, they're your friends." She gave him a look and he corrected himself, "Ex-friends. That makes it even more awkward for me."

   Florence took his wrist in her hand and tugged him out of bed. "You're coming with me. I will not take 'no' for an answer, Fell."

   "I hate you."

°

FLORENCE AND Ryan arrived at Elena's house later than expected. The entire drive to the Gilbert residence Ryan was whining and arguing with his friend over how he knew none of the people he was about to have dinner with, which resulted in multiple pep talks on behalf of his blonde friend.

   "You're so smart for a blonde," Ryan said once they stood in front of the door.

   Florence raised an eyebrow, dusting off her dress. "And you just realized this now?"

   Elena opened the door and enthusiastically ushered Florence and Ryan in, hoping to make up for the year of lost time. The blonde sat next to her friend, who sat opposite of Stefan Salvatore. To say that the dinner was awkward was an understatement. Florence thought she was going to suffocate in the silence, and it didn't help that her friend was constantly hitting his fork on his plate.

   In fact, it got so annoying that she took the utensils from his hand, forcing him to survive off the cheap wine served to them courtesy of Elena's lonely aunt. To get back at her, Ryan propositioned, "Hey, why don't you tell Stefan and Bonnie about your family?"

   Florence was quick to deny, but Elena chipped in, "Yeah, tell us about your family. Ryan and I know everything there is to know about it. I'm sure Bonnie and Stefan would love to know."

   She cleared her throat uncomfortably, taking a huge sip of the wine. "Well, my parents are dead. Yippee. Uh, I live with my sister who's always off on trips to see her boyfriend without me interfering with their relationship."

   "Way to depress us, Flore," Ryan said, taking another sip of his alcoholic drink.

   Another awkward silence was bestowed upon the five teenagers and Florence was feeling tortured. There was the occasional cough and clink of utensil against plate but none of them dare make a sound.

   Elena spoke up and Ryan tried not to smile as he watched Elena speak to his friend and actually get a reply that wasn't rude or bitchy. They were making progress. "I'm really sorry about what I said about you being responsible for the deaths of my parents, Florence. I know I've never apologized, but I really hope you forgive me. I was in a bad place and—"

   "Forget it, Elena," Florence said and Ryan frowned, thinking that she was going to ruin her chance at mending her friendship with the girl. He cheered when he heard her next two words. "You're forgiven."

   Elena smiled and was going to say something when suddenly the doorbell rang. She got up to answer it and Stefan soon followed after, leaving the three teenagers at the dinner table. Bonnie chose that as a moment to speak to Florence.

   "There's something off here," she said, taking a bite of her food. "And it's part of the witch thing. You know about that, right?" She didn't let her answer. "Stefan Salvatore is carrying something with him, Florence—something dark. I'm gonna get to the bottom of it." She then leaned forward, lowering her voice to make sure only Florence heard her next words. "I'm telling you this beforehand: you need to stay away from Elena. There's something really . . . off over here. I don't want any oursiders"—her eyes drifted towards Ryan—"getting hurt in any way."

   Florence shrugged, leaning back in her chair. "That sounds like a personal problem there, Sabrina. My mission was never to gain your approval."

   Bonnie bit the inside of her cheek and pushed the plate away, suddenly not feeling hungry. Ryan then grinned, high-fiving his friend.

   "You go, Glen Co-Co."