13.

Gruesome Secrets

FLORENCE STORMED through multiple throngs of students

FLORENCE STORMED through multiple throngs of students. On her way to the back entrance of the school, she ran into Elena, who was anxiously pushing through the rest of her peers. The Gilbert seemed relieved to see her and quickly pulled her in for a hug, which made Florence furrow her brows.

"Wait, why are you so happy to see me?"

Elena sighed. "It-It's Jeremy. He's up there with Vicki and"-she stopped herself. According to her knowledge, Florence was oblivious to what was going on with the supernatural. "Uh, it's not important. It's great to see you. I got to go."

Before Florence could get a word in, Elena ran off. She raised her arms, annoyed. Attempting to speed towards Elena, she used some of her newfound vampire powers. Since Katherine had prepared her for little of what she was going to go through, she almost tripped over some feet.

Being a vampire was tough.

Screams were heard from the back and she widened her eyes when she recognized Jeremy's voice. Her superhuman strength came in handy when some kids wouldn't move from in front of her, and she rushed to find Jeremy.

When she got there, Elena was lying in a wooden heap on the floor, and Vicki was stalking towards her hungrily. Overcome with anger, she was about to speed over when Stefan beat her to it, pinning Vicki to the side of one of the school busses.

"Florence?" Jeremy called, his voice shaking.

She sighed, jogging over to the boy. Much to his surprise, she pulled him in for a tight yet short hug. After it was over, she checked him for any injuries, and bit her cheek when she saw a trail of blood leave his lips. He pulled her in for another hug, and she closed her eyes, more focused on not biting into his neck than anything.

Suddenly, Elena grabbed Jeremy's arm and tugged him away. He turned his head for a split second to take Florence's hand in his, and she happily obliged. They approached the door to the back and panic flooded their emotions when they saw that it was locked shut.

Florence took a step closer to break the doorknob but Vicki stopped her by violently shoving her to the side, which caused her to hit her back on the wall. She groaned, wincing at the pain in her lower back. Vicki had thrown Jeremy somewhere else, and Stefan was panicking.

She stumbled to pull herself up when the newly turned vampire began to feed on Elena. Gritting her teeth together in anger, she took a mop lying next to her and charged towards Vicki. No one saw it coming-not even Florence.

It all happened so fast-the blood, the grief, the guilt.

Once again, Stefan got to Vicki before she did, and had staked her with the end of a wooden plank. Florence was a mere two feet away from him, mop limp in her hands. Her heart ached when Vicki fell to the ground, her veins turning black. She watched as her skin turned gray, and couldn't feel herself move.

The mop left her hands and they went to cover her lips, but she stopped herself when she saw that they were covered in blood. Of all the things that had happened that night, what really got her to sob was the scream that left Jeremy's lips.

"Vicki!"

The blood on her hands went unnoticed as she pressed them to her lips and dropped on the ground, next to her body. She looked so . . . ugly. And Vicki was no ugly girl. As much as the two hated each other with a passion, they were best friends. But, well, it seemed that they weren't anymore.

Elena joined her in kneeling next to the dead body, her hand on her abdomen. She was silently watching as Florence sobbed, her hands on Vicki's cheeks, but couldn't hold in her next words.

"Are you hurt?"

Florence looked up for half a second to shake her head and followed Elena's eyes to her hands. She swallowed the next sob that was threatening to leave her lips and uttered a lie, her voice shaking, "It's . . . her blood. Vicki's blood. How did we let this happen, El?"

They didn't even notice Damon approach the two, his expression nonchalant.

"You should go. I got this."

Elena slowly got up from her spot on the floor, and Florence watched their exchange silently. "You did this. This is your fault."

"He wasn't the one who killed her," Florence grumbled, rubbing her eyes with the backs of her hands.

"You confuse me for someone with remorse." His words struck a chord in Elena and she charged for him, attempting to shove him with all her might. He didn't budge. She went to slap him but he grabbed her hand, not caring if he hurt her while doing so. "None of this matters to me, none of it."

He let go of his hand and she retracted it quickly. She tried to hold in the rest of her tears. "People die around you. How could it not matter? It matters, and you know it."

This time, she actually slapped him-actually, physically, slapped him.

Florence held her breath, wincing at the loud sound. Another vamp side effect.

It had been all day, and she'd only fed twice. She was so damn hungry. She was tempted to lick the blood from her hands-anything to rid herself of this insatiable thirst-but refrained as it would only reveal to the two that she was a vampire as well.

Damon was trying to keep his cool; she could tell. All he did was make a sound of approval. Then, he demanded, voice eerily calm, "You need to leave. Your wounds are bleeding, and you need to leave."

For the first time, Florence smelled the blood on Elena, and clenched her fists. She watched-hungrily, too-as Elena stumbled off, and let out her breath when she left. Damon acknowledged her presence then, and tilted his head disappointedly.

"Who turned you into a vampire?"

She looked at him with innocent eyes, and he almost felt bad.

"I-I don't know. It was weird. I woke up a couple days ago and . . . my gums were hurting," she lied. Once again, she began to sob, and Damon had to refrain from rolling his eyes in annoyance. "Everything's hurting."

He saw what was coming and grimaced. "Oh, please don't-"

She reached forwards and wrapped her arms around him, this being the fifth hug she'd gotten that night. Actually, she wouldn't consider it much of a hug. It was more one-sided, seeing as the older vampire didn't want to be near her in her vulnerable state.

He awkwardly patted her back and moved his eyes to Vicki's body, which was practically rotting before his eyes.

"You know, dead Vicki isn't going to clean herself up," he mumbled into her hair.

She maneuvered within her trap-that's what it was to him, at least-and elbowed his shoulder, probably dislocating it with the amount of strength she used.

"Shut up and hug me, asshole."