5.

It Will Never Be Normal

THE FOUNDER'S party neared and, as preparations for it at the Lockwood mansion were made, the students of the town's high school took advantage of the day off to scour their old suits and ties and shop for new dresses

THE FOUNDER'S party neared and, as preparations for it at the Lockwood mansion were made, the students of the town's high school took advantage of the day off to scour their old suits and ties and shop for new dresses. Those who were the kin of the Founders dressed themselves in the most elegant of dresses, though most of the time they were put to waste as there was always a protester who disliked the actions taken to create their small town. Images of the gory battles and journals of the people lost haunted the minds of a small portion of citizens, but they'd keep their heads up for the sake of attention.

"Did you hear about what happened?" questioned Ryan as he followed Florence up the stairs in her house. She turned her head for a second to raise an eyebrow at him as a gesture for him to continue and he sent her a look of disbelievement. "After you left the game for some unknown reason-which I deserve an explanation for, by the way-Tanner was killed. They're saying it's an animal attack but you should've seen the way his throat was ripped open. It was a vampire."

Florence rolled her eyes. "You've gotta be kidding me, Fell. Read my lips: vampires don't exist. Your dad is the one covering most of these news stories anyways, I doubt he'd want you blabbing on to everyone about vampires infesting Mystic Falls, especially when we're on our way to the Founder's Party. Please, just, refrain from the vampire topic for tonight."

He raised his hands in defeat as the two walked into her room. "Alright, no more vampire talk from me. But mark my words, Florence Allen; when a vampire approaches you in the dead of night, I'll be the one to say 'I told you so.'"

"And when that so-called vampire turns out to be some dick in a costume, I'll be the one laughing my ass off at my idiot of a friend." She laughed at her own joke and sorted through her closet, searching for an appropriate dress for their function. At last, she pulled out two dresses and held them up, asking her friend for advice, "What do you think: sexy princess, or spoiled teen?"

He laughed, his decision already made. "Oh, sexy princess for sure."

°

FLORENCE ARRIVED at the party seconds after Elena, arm looped around Ryan's. She adorned a lavender dress, her hair put off to the side. Ryan matched with her, his tie a light purple color. Anyone could mistake the two for a couple, though they both knew they were far from one. Even if Ryan did not know that Florence was in the midst of something-they hadn't found a name for it yet-with Jeremy Gilbert, he knew she would go for him, and he would never go for her. It wasn't a matter of whether they liked each other, because they knew the universe would work against them anyways.

Florence and Ryan were friends, as they always would be.

As soon as the two entered the mansion, they were greeted by Carol Lockwood. She was the mother of Tyler Lockwood, a mutual friend of the two's. She beamed as she hugged the blonde girl, her face converted into a smile. "My lord, Florence! You look gorgeous." She turned to Ryan and gave him a curt nod, seeming to be repulsed by his presence. "Ryan Fell-you look just like your father."

"Ah, Misses Lockwood, you are as lovely as usual," he stated with a smug grin. Florence sighed at their exchange and pulled her friend away from the mayor's wife, afraid he'd say something he would regret.

Then, she caught eye of four familiar faces walking into a room down the hall and she respectively excused herself, dragging Ryan off to the room. There she was met with her two friends, Elena and Caroline, and the brothers she never seemed to be able to avoid. She watched as Elena stood in front of a framed paper, reading off of it until two names caught her attention.

"Is that Damon Salvatore?-and, Stefan Salvatore?" she asked, confused.

"Vampires," Ryan sing-songed, gaining the attention of the brothers. He gained a slap in the head from Florence, which caused him to hiss in pain.

She sent him a glare. "I told you to cut it with the vampire crap. They don't exist, Ryan."

His comment was shrugged off as theoretical nonsense and the rest of those in the hall went back to speaking, their conversations dull to the ears of Ryan and Florence. And, when Elena and Florence left with Caroline and Stefan, Damon approached the Fell. Ryan stayed weary of his presence, considering they had only met once and the man's nightly activities disturbed the boy more than he would have admit. Damon's eyes narrowed.

"You know."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," said Ryan, keeping his posture straight.

"You're not a very good liar," said the vampire, his gaze moving to the frame behind Ryan. In it was a painting of the Allen family back in the late 1800s, a painting that was cherished by many as it displayed the infamous Civil Sire, a woman who somewhat resembled Florence's sister. She was a troubled child, known for having premonitions of her family's deaths. The tale irked residents of the town, and so her picture wasn't spoken of very often.

The vampire smirked, a threat coming to mind. "You know, that friend of yours seems . . . tasty. Florence, is it?"

He stared at him, unfazed. He knew the Salvatore wouldn't dream of murdering his best friend unless he wanted the entire council after him-bluffing was one of his strong suits. "Why don't you stay focused on keeping your little secret, because when the right information falls into the wrong hands, everything you've ever worked for will be gone. And when that happens, I'll be standing off to the side with a smile as the council tears you apart, piece by piece. That's how this town works: once you've done something wrong, they'll never let you live it down. Excuse me."

He left the room after his almost rehearsed speech, making sure to hit his shoulder as he walked off.

When he walked out, he was met with an extremely angry Florence and an equally frustrated Elena. He caught the two in the midst of a heated argument, and there was no escaping for him.

"Really, Florence? My brother, of all people!" exclaimed Elena, her tone fierce. Ryan backed off a bit and stood next to Florence, keeping his hand on her arm. "And I bet you're also sleeping with Ryan Fell, huh? Stay away from Jeremy."

"Wow, you can't ever be happy for me, can you?" Florence questioned with a scoff. "I should never have told you about me and your brother. And, for the record, if you'd actually let Jeremy make his own decisions for once in his life, he'd actually think of you as his sister, and not just the reason for his parents' deaths." She saw Elena's mood sadden and sighed. "I'm sorry for being harsh but, you and I both know it's the truth."

Elena nodded, keeping her tears in. "Thanks for telling me the truth. I have to go. See you later, Florence."

The two watched as the eldest Gilbert walked away, guilt gathering in Florence's gut. Ryan, on the other hand, was awestruck. "Damn, Flore, I didn't think you had it in you. You think she'll forgive you?"

"She wants us to be friends so badly. Of course she will," she said. "And there's lots of things you don't know about me, Fell. For example, I love to dance."

He laughed as she dragged him off to the dance floor, smiles on their faces as they joined the rest of their peers.